Going rate (if there is such a thing!) for donation for funeral mass card?

C

cobalt

Does anyone know what the going rate (if there is such a thing!) is for getting a funeral mass card signed (Dublin)?

Thanks.

Mass Cards

My Mum paid €5 - in Dublin - last week.

Re: Mass Cards

I'll sign it for a nice skinny latte.

Cobalt,

If you buy a pre-signed mass card in Whitefriar St. church they cost €3. I have also seen them in one of our local shops for the same price but if its a case of going to a priest to get one signed €5 does appear to be the standard.

What price access to God ?

I find it really offensive that Catholic priests charge for masses. Aren't they already paid a salary ?

Personally, I just buy a "With Sympathy" card. It's the thought that counts really.

Re: What price access to God ?

Aren't they already paid a salary ?

I was surprised to read recently (in the context of a Sunday Business Post article about a Revenue judgement against some priest or other for non declaration and payment of income tax) that priests are actually classed as self employed by the Revenue. Just seemed odd but perhaps not...

In fairness, the salaries most priests get from their diocese is tiny. Many get free accommodation but often in cold, draughty parish-owned houses or in group accommodation in presbyteries. Those who work in schools or hospitals are forced to surrender their State salaries to the Church and receive only a pittance in return. They are taxable on their earnings.

One priest I know spends 2+ days a week attending to the dying in a local hospice, without being paid a cent. I don't know how he sticks it.

Afaik the convention with Mass Cards is that the priest accepts whatever donation (if any) that the recipient wishes to give. The priest does not charge, or specify, a set fee. I doubt if any get rich through Mass Card donations - not to the extent that companies like Hallmark do with commercial sympathy cards.

I have to agree with Tommy. Who'd be a priest? Tough job, no wife or companion. Few real friends. And they really dont earn a lot. One thing also is that some retired priests have a pretty appalling pension- one recently came to my attention when I handled an estate where the testator left money for masses to be said for the repose of their soul- a very common bequest. Despite having had a long and unselfish career this gentleman was forced to ask me if I would give him the money to say masses to supplement his meagre income. So if theres any retired priests in your area- think of them when getting mass cards etc.

Tommy said:
Afaik the convention with Mass Cards is that the priest accepts whatever donation (if any) that the recipient wishes to give. The priest does not charge, or specify, a set fee.

Not in my own personal experience. In my own local parish the priests usen't to say a mass unless you had a minimum donation of IR£3 in your hand. No negotiation.

As for priests not being paid a lot, surely that's not the point. RC priests supposedly take a vow of poverty, but get a stipend from the church, usually drive fine cars, and live for free in grand houses.

Would Christ ask for a payment for prayers for the dead ?

You're better off making a donation to charity on behalf of the dead person, in stead of lining the priest's pockets.

RC priests supposedly take a vow of poverty, but get a stipend from the church, usually drive fine cars, and live for free in grand houses.
Actually afaik they don't, the christian brothers& nuns etc do but not the priest's.
I actually do/did the accounts for a few priests both RC & Methodist and know their income is very small and much is actually given to charity. As regard to the cars in fairness aren't they intitled to some small comfort also remember they often need to go to someone late at night and how would you feel if they rang back to say the car was broken down/wouldn't start etc. The houses are ofton damp/cold/old houses and remember they don't own them.

I think the whole idea of 'paying' for a mass is pretty absurd. I was also amazed to find out that priests will sometimes 'outsource' this mass-saying work to some of the enclosed orders for a cut of the fee.

Tough job

I thought that it was a vocation?

I think the whole idea of 'paying' for a mass is pretty absurd.

Surely it also involves the sin of simony too?

Not that consistency or logic is the strong point of most religions.... :\

mass card

Thanks for the info (€5ish) and comments. I've always been under the impression that any donation is voluntary (whatever about the moral pressure to pay), but €5-10 doesn't seem a lot to pay - unless you very frequently get masses said for others, when I suppose it might add up.

Re: mass card

Was in the church on the South Circular Road (near Meath Hospital) for a funeral two weeks ago, and no one could park in the car park except 2 funeral cars as the car parking spaces are rented to businesses, which I found a little absurd. Also after the funeral (or removal to be more accurate) the priest was trying to herd everyone out of the church as it was being painted and he wanted to let the painters get back to work (apparently). I just thought it was in very poor taste as people were lined up to go to the family to console with them.

Its no wonder the Catholic Church is a dying institution.

For the record my mother gets mass cards from some church for €3.50, can't give more specific details than that, sorry.

I agree, but then I think the whole practice of having Mass said at all is pretty absurd. I suppose if I believed that the Mass made a difference I'd also be willing to pay a few bob to have one said.

Certainly if I actually cared about religion in general or the RC church in particular then I'd have no problem donating money to them.

Is it possible that people who complain about having to make a "donation" for these services actually don't have their heart in it. They feel compelled to observe the traditions but don't actually "believe".

I've had a theory for a long time that half of Irish Catholics are Athiests but won't admit it, and the other half are protestants but won't admit it.

-Rd

Surely this is a matter to be decided by each individual who may wish to have a Mass said at their request. If someone wants to pay, why shouldn't they? After all, at a wedding, for example, people don't seem to have any problem in paying large sums to hotel, dressmakers, limo driver, photographer, florist, singers etc. If they want to give a modest donation to the priest for conducting the ceremony, surely there is nothing wrong with them doing so.

I was also amazed to find out that priests will sometimes 'outsource' this mass-saying work to some of the enclosed orders for a cut of the fee.
This doesn't really make sense if it is about money. Every priest must say Mass daily as part of their duties as a priest. Most priests at parish level are very busy with (afaik always unpaid) Anniversary Masses for relatives of parishoners on a year-round basis. I suppose its possible that some of this burden might be shared with priests in enclosed orders (if there is such a thing nowadays, which I doubt).

However, I alos doubt if saying Masses is sufficiently lucrative to command any sort of financially-motivated subcontracting.

Surely this is a matter to be decided by each individual who may wish to have a Mass said at their request.

Wasn't daltonr merely giving his/her personal opinion? At this rate we'll have to qualify absolutely every word posted with a disclaimer... :|

Re: donation for mass

Most priests at parish level are very busy with (afaik always unpaid) Anniversary Masses for relatives of parishoners on a year-round basis.

My mother always gives money in envelopes to the priest after anniversary masses have been said for deceased family members - afaik,they are never returned!

But,having said that, she is happy to do so.

Marion :hat

Re: donation for mass

Hi 0,

If someone expresses a personal opinion, surely others are free to agree or disagree?

Back