Getting Married Abroad?

Hi Emmt. The wedding did not take much planning. The hotel did all the arranging apart from the flights. They were very professional. They only do 1 wedding a day so focus more on the couple. They organise the witnesses also. We had no family with us so therefore there ws=as no stress. You need to make sure all your paperwork is 100% right even down to the exact spelling of your names.
I dont know what you need to do for legal reasons here.We have never been asked for marraige certificate here. Best of Luck

Hi all. Thanks for the responses. Agree that the safest option is to do the legals in Ireland. Made appointment in Galway for July 19th but am now looking into doing it in Northern Ireland cos the wait there is shorter. Hopefully the legals in NI will satisfy the legal requirements in the Republic. Hoping to adopt, so want to register for that as soon as possible but need to be married first. Want to get all my ducks in a row and do everything right. NI should be all right, do ya think?

No, havent started it yet cos i was advised that it was better to wait until I was married to do it - since its something we're gonna do asap anyway, it wouldnt delay things too long.
I believe it takes up to 2 years before you enter the assessment process, followed by about a year of assessment before you can choose which country you want to adopt from

I got married in Las Vegas. The process was getting the marriage certificate from the county council there the saem day or the day prior to the ceremony (you can go just before going to the chapel, there's no time limitations for that).
Then I asked for the apostille once I had the marriage license, and voilà. All done within a couple of weeks.
I then contacted the Revenue in order to change the tax bands. they took effect the year after.
No hassle at all there.
What I mean is that if the country you're getting married in is part of the HCCH, you should not have any issues with getting married abroad.
Here's a list of the member countries: http://hcch.e-vision.nl/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41

Hey Silverware, how did you go about arranging your marriage in Vegas, its something dp and myself have seriously been thinking about. Where did you go and where did you find out the info from? It would just be so much easier to do it this way (though we both love the idea of turning up on a harley - prob the only chance we'd get!)

Hi Sagbabe, it's really simple as I said: You just need the marriage license from the county (http://www.accessclarkcounty.com/depts/clerk/pages/marriage_information.aspx) and then choose a chapel.
After that, you have to ask for an apostille to make the marriage legal in Ireland. Most of the chapels do that for you if you ask, but it's much cheaper to ask for it yourself (although, the chapel will send all the documents required and it's less of a hassle).
It's cheap, fast and above all, fun :)

Just want to add to this re marrying in Las Vegas. I was married there in the last few years & I did not require an apostille. (we are both Irish citizens) We got our marriage licence the day before we married in Las Vegas, all you need for this if its your 1st marriage are your passports & the fee , $50 from what I remember.

You then bring the licence to the chapel, they give you a "decorative" marriage certificate after the ceremony & you have to send away for the official cert. (the minister or whoever marrys you will give you a slip to send away, think it was called a pink slip) You then get your official marriage cert in the post soon afer.

The marriage is registered in the state you marry. So would be registerd in Nevada & not Ireland. However your marriage is recognised here provided you complied with the laws of the state in which you married. Ie over 18, etc.

I have never needed an apostille & my marriage was immediately recognised by the revenue, & anyone else for that matter, upon receipt of my marriage certificate.
Any other questions just ask :)

Well, I never had to send the certificate to the Revenue or the apostille, but I was told it was mandatory (in Las Vegas, no one told me so here in Ireland).

Besides, you can always ask for it later anyway, so maybe it's just not necessary at all as mejane says.

Weddingszone.ie and its http://www.weddingszone.ie/forums (forums) is a good site for all things wedding related, i've found it alot of help as I have been planning my wedding

We got married in Rome - the Irish College over there organised it all very well. You had to give them four months notice and they needed that amount of time to the legal side of things. All went very well. Highly recommend, no hassle. We didnt invite anyone - we just had my sister and her husband as witnesses. We had party for 100 people when we came back in a hotel near us which everyone enjoyed. Highly recommend.

The daughter of a good friend of mine planning to marry in Thailand early next year. She is Irish but living in U.K. and her partner is English and divorced. As far as I know she is not planning on a Church wedding.

If anybody has any suggestions/recommendations on getting married in Thailand it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Back