Geothermal ESB costs for a year

We moved into our new house in dec 08....the house is 2877 sq feet with an underfloor geothermal heating system. Our first bills seem to be coming in around 400 per 2 mths but that includes all power to the house which I dont think is too bad. And the heat was on 24/7 for 3 weeks before we moved in. We have a very high ceiling in the hall and kitchen and the temperture seems to be grand. I do miss having a stove though but we cant afford to fit one at the moment. We also have a HRV system which seems to be working too. With regard to the controls..sometimes I feel a bit chilly from 6 to 9 in the evening but the heat is only set on the night rate and at the moment I have cut it to 4 hours a night. I suspect the next bill will be around the same...System cost us a fortune to put in so I am hoping that we will get back what we put in over the next 10 years. Time will tell though!

my house is 2500 square foot approx and the esb bill from feb 08 to feb 09 was 1600 euro for every thing, i have a thermia hp with ufh downstairs and rads up stairs. i have never used the rads as there is no need.by the way i bought my thermia hp from poland as it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it in ireland

hi
just wondering how did you manage to purchase through Poland? i am looking at buying a thermia heat pump (14k).. any cheaper options would be greatly appreciated

simple,look up thermia website,find the agent in poland or where ever and go in that website and get phone numbers and start phoning

Just calculated electricity usage for first full year in new house, geothermal, UFH. 5933 day units, 6483 night units.
Calculating at todays costs (17.52 per day unit, 8.67 per night) and standing charge 43.8 per day it works out at approx 2000 euro inc VAT.
From 4th Nov to 6th Mar accounts for 900 euro of the cost, this coincides with peak heat usage. Monthly running costs went up by about 90euro and the house was toasty all through the winter.
ESB usage includes all heating costs, some hotwater (solar panels as well) and the usual ESB guzzling appliances, dishwasher once a day night rate, drier and washing machine once a day each, one of them at night rate. Use of these appliances was consistent through the year due to wet weather and muddy site conditions.
I have to say as someone who has lived in many freezing houses I am delighted with my warm, well insulated and draught free house. It is nice putting a fire on for effect rather than necessity!
House is 2500 square feet.

Hope I'm not messing things up- this is my first post. Was interested in the ESB costs of the heat pump. Ours working out at €8.33 per day (over the last 247 days) or €3053pa which seems excessive. It's brand new. We have night rate but the pump seems to do a good bit of its work (at least 45%) during the day. Any thoughts- ? Figs seem simialr to some but a lot more than most. House newly refurbed , circa 2500sf. thanks in advance, k

Hope I'm not messing things up- this is my first post. Was interested in the ESB costs of the heat pump. Ours working out at €8.33 per day (over the last 247 days) or €3053pa which seems excessive. It's brand new. We have night rate but the pump seems to do a good bit of its work (at least 45%) during the day. Any thoughts- ? Figs seem simialr to some but a lot more than most. House newly refurbed , circa 2500sf. thanks in advance, k

Switch to one of the ESB competitors and save up to 14% a year on costs, which in your case would be quite significant.

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/

just a quick question, how many units sholud a geo pump consume within in the year. i know it will be higher in the winter but over the year how many units for a 2100 sq foot house, average?

Hi. We installed a 8kw heatpump (Thermia Atria) for our 2200sq ft house. We used an air unit instead of the ground pipes. Our electricity bills for the year for last 2 years averaged 1250euro. The air unit is more efficient as not pumping brine through the ground. We have t temp. sensor outside so the pump adjusts to the drop in temp. We are delighted with the system

Also installed a Thermia Atria air source heat pump in our new build last year, but the larger model 12kw. Total electricity cost for the year for 2900sq ft came in at €1,736

Have you any back up system with the air source heat pump or is it sufficient on its own in extreme conditions

we have ufh and our bills are €600 every 2 months(that covers all elec used) which seems a bit on the pricey side. our house is 4years old, single story, timber frame, aero thermal heat pump. any help or advice on reducing this cost would be greatly appreciated

we have ufh and our bills are €600 every 2 months(that covers all elec used) which seems a bit on the pricey side. our house is 4years old, single story, timber frame, aero thermal heat pump. any help or advice on reducing this cost would be greatly appreciated

To answer, would require a lot more info. I presume your aero thermal heat pump is an air to water heat pump.
Do you have a back up heat source? I would imagine if you do not, the 4kw element back-up heater has been working overtime and is on pretty much all the time. Probably no heat whatsoever coming from heat pump when we had the extreme cold weather and dimishing as temperature goes below freezing.

Is there a buffer tank between the heat pump and heating system?

How are you heating domestic hot water? Is it just from heat pump or are you boosting with immersion?

Back