Geothermal ESB costs for a year

For the domestic hot water, does the geothermal unit heat the water to the desired temperature or is an electric elememt used to heat the water by a few more degrees?

Without using a top up from an element, what would be the typical temperature available at a hot water tap or bath tub?

Hi All,
We installed a Nibe HP and UFH in both floors of our 3500sqft house. Its block built with kingspan in cavities and insulated slabs on external walls, plus low E glass (plenty of windows). Kingspan in the attic rafters and some 4" rock wool in the josts. So hopefully well insulated. We are on a hill and can see the sea so there is a lot of wind at times.

Mostly tiles d/stairs and all bedrooms have the click-floors with cork underlay.

The HP is running since August, and we ebentually moved in before Christmas.
Still in the process of having the sytem balanced to spread the heat efficently through the house.

Since we moved in we watched the ESB meter and recorded daily units.
Our average use is 30 units during the night and 43 units during the day.

Apparently this is fine but not from our end when its costing €10 a day.
We are told over the year it should cost €1800 to heat the house and provide ample hot water.

Be interested in peoples feedback.

EamonK,

what type NIBE HP did you get, i was planning to get the fighter 1240, our house will be 3200 sqft, block built, similar insulation, 10 euro's a day is very expensive, it would have been cheaper to go with oil if you take the initial cost in to account.
Did you go for vertical or horizontal

Last edited:
Went with Fighter 1140 plus the 450/300 VPA tank and a horizontal collector array.

Meant to say - we have disabled the built-in immersion heater since early Jan as it was costing more.

so are your costs only for running pump, have you spoken to the installer if the system is commissioned properly.

Have you checked if your system is on 24/7 or are the stats feeding back to the pump shutting it off which should be the case once the desired temp is reached.

Hi Poppy1
We have lived in our 1800 sq ft. house for exactly one year with geothermal. Our running costs for the year come to approx. €1200. This includes heat, water, lights, showers everything in fact.
We designed the house to make the most of the sunlight, with no windows facing north and small windows facing east. We installed a heat-recovery vent. system and insulated as much as we could afford to and switch off our heating from May(ish) to Sept. We also installed a wood pellet stove for a quick blast of heat should the temp. outside drop. We use it in v. cold weather . We installed rads. upstairs but have them switched off as the heat from downstairs is sufficient. We don't have a dryer either. We are a family of 5 who work from home a lot. The temp. average is 22C in winter and 24 in Summer.
Hope this helps.

Hi all,
Just received planning permission for a 3,400sq ft house on an elevated site and trying to decide on what heating system to use. I want to go with geothermal (and ufh) but worry that the initial outlay will not be offset by lower ongoing costs. I've learned alot from reading the contributions but a few issues still remain.
1. does the soil type have a big impact on the efficiency of the system?
2. does an elevated site make any difference? (I have enough space for horizontal system)
3. is there much difference between the brands of heat pumps?
A few posts have mentioned that there are alot of new players in the market - any recommendation for reputable companies with plenty of experience in the midlands?

Appreciate any advice.

Silkyjoe,

The soil type determines if horizontal is possible, a clay soil is preferable, the wetter the site the better to receive a good COP.
If going vertical, an elevated site may be more costly depending on depth of bore hole and water level but local agent should be able to tell you this, if you have a hight water table will give you a better COP.
If looking at different types of heat pumps look at ther COP rating, the two main types are NIBE and Thermia in ireland.
Look at sei:

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi guys,

What temperature is your heatpump set to? Assuming that the HP runs 24/7 can you tell me how long it needs to run to "top up" to this temperature and how long does it "idle" before kicking in again?

Thank you,

ALERT.

Eamon K
I am also interestec in getting a geothermal system and at this stage am just concerned that the running costs will not be as LOW as expected. can I ask:
(1) Which supplierr/installer did u use?
(2) How much collector pipe was used?
(3) What thickness of insulation did u use on flooor and in walls?

Any help at all would be appreciated? before I pull my hair out!

We have a NIBE 1140 Fighter Heatpump.

There was 600 metres of a collector pipe put in 4 trenches 1 metre deep in the back garden.

We have 50mil kingspan in the groundfloor, 25mil kingspan in the firstfloor and the cavity walls have 60mil kingspan, plus an additional insulated plasterboard slab on all external walls. The attic is insulated with 100mil kingspan in the raffters and 100mil rockwool in the joists.

Re: Geothermal ESB get ying toor a year

Thanks for that Eamon K - just wondering who your supplier was and if they did the install or someone else did the install? Can't decide between 2 companies so trying to get feedback on all companies

Yeah that's a fairly sweeping statement there Gary! Care to tell us why?

I find this very interesting, can someone with it installed please give me more details.

Would I be right to say average heating/hot water costs €1000 - €1300 P.A

How much was initial cost of installing geo,heat pump and UFH?

..... 3500sqft house......€10 a day...

1800 sq ft. approx. €1200.

Comparing the two posters above it looks like

• both systems are relatively expensive to run
  • both are incorrectly set up
  • €1.50 per sq foot per year is a running cost for electricity (all) and Geotherm
(using the figures provided)
Poster sq ft annual per sq ft
POPS 1800 €1,200 €0.66
EAMONNK 3500 €4,958 €1.42

For comparision
my house 2,000 sq feet (and rising)

ESB costs €200 bimonthly x 6 = 1200
Two fills of OIL (2000 ltrs) = 1200 - although price does vary for oil

Total €2400 / 2000 sq ft = €1.20 per sq foot.

PS standard efficiency oil boiler cost €800 serviced annually - house fully zoned with programmable stats.
PS2 For EAMONNK I took electricity price per unit to be €0.18 and 70 units used per day therefore if there is a night rate meter fitted figures would have to be amended.

Last edited:
ESB costs €200 bimonthly x 6 = 1200
Two fills of OIL (2000 ltrs) = 1200 - although price does vary for oil

Total €2400 / 2000 sq ft = €0.83 cent per sq foot.

You've divided the wrong way there. Your number is actually €1.20 per sq. foot.

You've divided the wrong way there. Your number is actually €1.20 per sq. foot.

Sorry folks. Thanks well spotted - I was actually surprised it was that low. POPS also fixed as I did the same there.

Poster sq ft annual per sq ft
POPS 1800 €1,200 €0.66
EAMONNK 3500 €4,958 €1.42
DAVIDOCO 2000 €2400 €1.20

My House is about 2800 sq ft. My total ESB bill for the year is about €1700, this includes all regular house use and the heat pump which does all heating and hot water without any back up.

Back