Georgeson uk asset reunification

Bob Hara

Hi all,

my mother received a letter and asked for my advice. It's basically from a uk asset reunification company/scam looking for information to help locate my mother. They say they have been hired by a public limited company to find her. I have typed up the main part of the letter below. Please read it and tell me what you think. I've made up some names to preserve anonymity and inserted some notes on the interesting details.

Firstly, it is addressed to somebody with our surname with only an initial for the first name i.e. Dear J Hara - nobody in our family has a name beginning with J.

The subject of the letter reads "Help us to find Mrs. Bonnie Hara" (Bonnie Hara is my mother and the person the letter was actually delivered to.)

Next the address is half correct, the house name & townland name are both correct but the town and county are both wrong. We do live very close to the town and county borders but would never have given out this form of address as it is simply incorrect. It is a testament to our local postman/office that the letter made it to us at all.

The main body then reads
"Georgeson have been appointed by a public limited company to reunite people with their unclaimed assets. We are trying to make contact with Mrs. Bonnie Hara whose last known registered address was X road out of the nearby town."

(Mother never lived there but we live close to it. Interestingly a woman with the same name as my mother did live there but died approx circa 10 years ago?)

They then go on to say how we can get in contact with them and ask for a forwarding address, landline and mobile number.

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to post proper link but they can be found on google by searching "georgeson asset reunification"
Looking online people seem to be complaining about the commission they charge but they don't at first glance appear to be an out and out scam either.

I'd appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks,
Bob

I hadn't heard of them but I am surprised that they charge commission if they have been appointed by a plc

I could understand it if they were doing speculative work e.g. trying to find beneficiaries of wills.

Here are some of their clients, so they are not a scam.

upload_2016-7-26_14-57-20.png

If you click further down on the website, you will see that they are a Computershare subsidiary and you click through to their website. Computershare manage a lot of shares for a lot of plcs, so it does make sense for these larger MNCs to require these services from time to time.

Back