Gender Pay Gap reporting

That's not really going to happen though, is it? Trans people make up a statistically insignificant proportion of the population. It's also hard to allow for people who are being deliberately mischievous.
I'm not so sure that's the case and it misses the point.
Not the case: there has been an explosion in young people identifying as trans in the last 10 years. Tavistock GIDS in the UK reports something like a 4,000% increase in referrals between 2008 and 2018. This may be a trend and it may wane, but it may not be.
Missing the point: the point is, regardless of numbers, counting males as women confounds the ability to get accurate information about gender and pay and solve the problem. My example was a reductio ad absurdam but the issue is a real one.

I'm not so sure that's the case and it misses the point.
Not the case: there has been an explosion in young people identifying as trans in the last 10 years. Tavistock GIDS in the UK reports something like a 4,000% increase in referrals between 2008 and 2018. This may be a trend and it may wane, but it may not be.
If that's gone from 1 to 4000 then it's not a factor. Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Missing the point: the point is, regardless of numbers, counting males as women confounds the ability to get accurate information about gender and pay and solve the problem. My example was a reductio ad absurdam but the issue is a real one.
Is it a problem? As long as everyone is free to make decisions about what they work at and how long or hard they work and as long as people get paid the same for the same work then there's no issue.

This whole thing is predicated on the assumption that there is a social construct which disadvantages women in the workplace. There is no evidence to support this. The countries with the highest levels of equality see the highest levels of unequal pay between the sexes. When men and women as a cohort are free to choose they make different choices.

There may be an issue with why jobs that are dominated by women are generally paid less than job which are male dominated but that's not what the notion of the supposed gender pay gap is predicated on.

Last edited:
Its also worth noting that women work an average of 32.3 hours a week and men work an average of 40.1 hours a week. Source

For example why so many male engineers and construction workers, why so many female teachers and child care employees .
The simplistic answer is that males are more interested in stuff and females are more interested in people.

I wasn’t previously aware of this requirement but it seems a bit dystopian.

Companies are being required to provide information that may ultimately highlight a perceived injustice.

What next? A demand that you make the necessary “corrections” without any consideration of circumstances?

My company is taking this seriously. They have gone through it already in the UK where this has been a requirement for several years. Being in manufacturing they found the fact that workers on the floor seemed to be predominantly male on minimum wage and this skewed the gender pay gap figure significantly.

I know in Ireland prior to the publication two staff in the department I work in with the same job title and role ended up with the female getting an 10% raise in the last 6 months to bring her in line with her male colleague. I think the review was done specifically because the data will be published.

My company is taking this seriously. They have gone through it already in the UK where this has been a requirement for several years. Being in manufacturing they found the fact that workers on the floor seemed to be predominantly male on minimum wage and this skewed the gender pay gap figure significantly.
The average hourly wage for the women where I work is significantly higher than the average hourly wage of the men.
I know in Ireland prior to the publication two staff in the department I work in with the same job title and role ended up with the female getting an 10% raise in the last 6 months to bring her in line with her male colleague. I think the review was done specifically because the data will be published.
That's a positive outcome.

Back