Gas boiler service

That's exactly what I'm going to do Leo! As part of this upgrade they had to do work on our gasmeter and the piping coming into the house and they had to rip up some of the concrete in the drive, so a safety check would make some sense to me, but I'll check it out with Bord Gais tomorrow - didnt' get round today, was waiting for ESB to connect my new meter after rewiring... never ending DIY!

Frustrating and Expensive Service

I can assure you that BG take boiler servicing very seriously and its not "all about the money". The safety and satisfaction of our customers is of extreme importance to us.

I have an old boiler in a new house that i bought recently and due to the whole expense of the house, i have not got the money at this time to buy a new boiler so i decided to get the one that is already in the house serviced so that it will be up and running for a few short years until i accumulate the money to buy a new boiler. I rang Bord Gais thinking that they would be very trustworthy, fair and professional with their service since they are a massive company in Ireland. I rang them up and they said that they would send out one of their gas men to service it for €99 which i felt was a reasonable price. When the gas man called out, he tried to get the boiler to turn on but the pilot flame would not stay on. He informed me that it was a fault with the thermocouple and he said that i would have to get a new thermocouple. The boiler was old so i wasnt too surprised to find something wrong with it. He then said that his call-out would have to be changed to a 'repair service' and that this would cost €90. He was only 20 mins in the house and he barely did anything at all for €90!!! I got a call a few days later from Bord Gais to say that a replacement thermocouple had been ordered (costing around €28) and that another appointment would be arranged. On the second call-out, there was a different gas man and he tried to fit the thermocouple but he said that the wrong one was ordered and that there could also be something wrong with the gas valve. He spent 45 minutes at trying to fit a thermocouple and assessing the situation again. Because this was my second call-out i had to pay €25 for each 15 minutes on the job but the issue is still back at square one. I have thus paid out a total of €193 so far and nothing has been really done for me. For most other companies in Ireland, assessing some small basic faults with a system would certainly not cost so much as well as been charged for wrongly chosen parts!! Why should i have to pay for the thermocouple and the second call-out charge if the first guy ordered the wrong thermocouple?? The gas man then told me that i would be expected to get another call during the week about another thermocouple and a possible gas valve which he said would be quite expansive. I then would have to pay another call-out fee of €25 for every 15 mins to get those fitted and to finally get it serviced! It all seems incredibly unreasonable especially from a company as big as Bord Gais. It is so frustrating that im almost tempted to leave Bord Gais and join a different gas company that might be a bit fairer!!

i had my 5 1/2 yr old gas boiler serviced on 2 occasions by BG. Third time the guy says it is impossible to gain access to all the parts of the boiler that need to be examined as the press it is in limits removal of the outer shell. Its behind an over the counter built in press door and my kitchen installer assures me he has not had an issue with this set up before. Who to believe ? I asked the BG serviceman how come the two previous servicemen had not raised the issue, showed him the most recent service sheet and he says that the previous BG serviceman was no good had been given the sack ! Any advice ? Not sure who to trust here and could do with organising proper service.

using Bord Gais for service work is not always a good idea. You would get a better deal and a better service from an independent registered gas installer.

Judgeit, yes your are being completely 'rode' at this point, and seem to be paying for their schoolboy errors.

A decent independent RGI, would have only charged you for the repair/service as one visit regardless of 'incorrect ordering'

Was the boiler not operational before their visit? if so, did they break it?
(as I found with a gas fire recently)

Anyone recommend a boiler service company in Laois/Offaly? Please see my earlier query above re access to my boiler, there is approx 6 inches space to the left and one to the front ..is it possible to service all parts of a vokera mynute boiler within a press like this ?? The press is open above and below. Many thanks

Back