Gas boiler service

suzyann

Hi
I just recently had the gas boiler serviced . i was amazed at how quickly it was done - took the guy less than 15 mins . Is this the norm ?

Hiya, He should have checked and cleaned or replaced the Jets, ensured the photo cell was clean, checked the flue was un-obstructed and then tested the calarific value to ensure the boiler was working as it should, these things should be recorded on his report, did he give you a service report sheet of some kind? If he was VERY QUICK he could have done in the 15mins, but to be fair this should have taken twice as long.

It was a standard bord gais service - He got me to sign two parts but it didnt detail really what was done and I wasnt going to stand over him while he was doing it ... Seems like a lot of money for such a quick task.
Thanks

I got my boiler serviced a few times by bord gais and was never that quick. They used to say the max time that the standard boiler service would cover on their site, and it always seemed to take close to that. It was somewhere between 30 and 45 mins. Site doesn't seem to say it now. My boiler was only a new boiler and was serviced every year too, so wasn't like it was taking longer because it was old or hadn't been serviced in a while.

I don't know anything about boilers though so not sure if they were just taking that long to fill out their time sheets or whether they were doing stuff for the whole time.

Hiya, He should have checked and cleaned or replaced the Jets, ensured the photo cell was clean, checked the flue was un-obstructed and then tested the calarific value to ensure the boiler was working as it should, these things should be recorded on his report, did he give you a service report sheet of some kind? If he was VERY QUICK he could have done in the 15mins, but to be fair this should have taken twice as long.

There are no photo cell's on gas boilers.

I had my gas bolier serviced (routine annual service) last month, it took the guy 50 mins to do it.

No way could a boiler be serviced in 15 mins, to service a boiler you need to remove main burner and inspect and clean. the fan has to be checked and clean, etc, takes about 30- 35mins when done correctly.

It's sad, but Bord Gosh are all about the ££, and their engineers would be under pressure to clear a book of services in a day.

Gary, I can assure you that BG take boiler servicing very seriously and its not "all about the money". The safety and satisfaction of our customers is of extreme importance to us.

If the original poster SuzzyAnn would like to message me I would be more than willing to investigate her concerns.

Bord Gáis, Appliance Servicing.

The safety and satisfaction of our customers is of extreme importance to us.

Bord Gáis, Appliance Servicing.

If that is the case, why is the gas industry in this country on the most part, unregulated?

Brendan,
In this country, If you have a toolbox and overalls, you can advertise as a gas installer. If Bord Gais were serious about customer safety and satisfaction, surely they would make it illegal to work on gas without first proving competent to do so.

In the UK , for example, it is against the law to work on gas unless you are properly qualified and a paid up member of CORGI. CORGI is the gas installer watch dog (forgive the pun), they inspect installers work and ensure a safe and high standard. The gas industry in the UK is light years ahead of us here.
CORGI are independent but work very closely with British Gas.

I've read lots of posts here about people being dismayed when a gas installer comes to their door and knows little or nothing about what their doing, hence high prices and shoddy work. Bord Gais need to get a compulsory register in place and fast.

Bord Gáis Networks maintains a Register of Gas Installers, consisting of gas installers and service agents, who have completed the required gas installation safety training and provide the necessary insurance cover to carry out gas installations to the required industry standard.

All Registered Gas Installers are also required to maintain a track record of safety and installations carried out by Registered Gas Installers are continually sampled in order to ensure that the Irish Installation Safety Standards are complied with.

In the interest of your safety, Bord Gáis Networks advises that gas installations should only be carried out by a Registered Gas Installer, in conformance with the relevant Irish Installation Standards (I.S. 813 or I.S. 820)

Click here to view the Registered Gas Installer listing.

BGES,
I am aware of the register and its workings. when will the unregistered installers eirther conform or be put out of business?

Friends of mine were looking to have their boiler serviced so I put them in contact with another friend who services gas boilers but he was too busy & then going on hols etc. He warned them that alot of servicers only just come in and clean it i.e. what the original poster said and to ensure that everything was checked and tested before leaving.

I got my boiler serviced about 10 years ago by Bord Gais. Was working fine beforehand but caused trouble ever since (til we moved out!)

Bord Gáis Networks maintains a Register of Gas Installers, consisting of gas installers and service agents, who have completed the required gas installation safety training and provide the necessary insurance cover to carry out gas installations to the required industry standard.

All Registered Gas Installers are also required to maintain a track record of safety and installations carried out by Registered Gas Installers are continually sampled in order to ensure that the Irish Installation Safety Standards are complied with.

In the interest of your safety, Bord Gáis Networks advises that gas installations should only be carried out by a Registered Gas Installer, in conformance with the relevant Irish Installation Standards (I.S. 813 or I.S. 820)

Click here to view the Registered Gas Installer listing.

I had a Bord Gas Installer change my central heating from oil to Natural Gas. I signed my contract with Bord Gais and they sent the installer out to do the change over. After the work that was done in my house I wouldn't recommend the Installer to my worst enemy. It was a nightmare and I was glad to see the back of them. I did complain at the time to Bord Gais but got little help from them. I have just checked the link you gave and I see they are still there - I do hope they have cleaned up their act.

Brendan,
In this country, If you have a toolbox and overalls, you can advertise as a gas installer. If Bord Gais were serious about customer safety and satisfaction, surely they would make it illegal to work on gas without first proving competent to do so.
Shouldn't you be asking the question about the legality of other installers to the politicians, rather than BG (who can only operate within the legislative framework provided by the Dail)?

All due respect BGES, but i can only go by my own experiences as a ex British Gas service technician and now a trouble shooter, i know what good service should be and Bord Gáis should meet the highest standards. I called to a job to fit 2 pcbs, defects identified by Bord Gáis engineers, i fitted only 1 board to repair, at a cost of E80 to fit and E210 for the first pcb, the second being E190, the customer sourced the boards herself as the Bord Gáis charge to a long standing Bord Gáis customer was E880 for parts and fitting, now i know it's not fair to pick the odd job and use it as a example of your service work, but i only get called in when there is a problem, so i don't get to meet satisfied customers, on a good note i do advise customers to take out a service contract with Bord Gáis as i think it's a good deal.

Shouldn't you be asking the question about the legality of other installers to the politicians, rather than BG (who can only operate within the legislative framework provided by the Dail)?

No, because Bord Gais are the national service provider. they have duty of care to their customers and if they were tp lobby for tighter controls, it would happen. after all they are the experts.

Back