Gas boiler query....

€400 is in the ballpark, €800 is miles from anything that even looks like a ballpark. You have a chancer on your hands.

What you need to do is, ask your installer for the make/model of suggested boiler(s) and then ring the merchants to get your 'independant' price, this will give you a benchmark, and you should expect your installers boiler price to be below your quote as he/she will get a trade discount on it!

What you need to do is, ask your installer for the make/model of suggested boiler(s) and then ring the merchants to get your 'independant' price, this will give you a benchmark, and you should expect your installers boiler price to be below your quote as he/she will get a trade discount on it!

Good idea to ring for price.

However not many business's pass on their trade prices to customers, and nearly all traders will add a % upmark for sourcing and supplying materials.

most important thing in dealing with anything gas related is to dot the i's and cap the t'sbecause if anything happens and you need to claim on your house insurance they will want a certificate of competency from who ever installed it

A rep just checked my old non condenser boiler and said it really should have been wired with four wires instead of three? No live wire -he said? What's that all about?

It means your installer only supplied an earth. Neutra. And switched live to the
boiler a d did not supply a permanent live feed.
The switched live tells the boiler to fire up on demand for heat
from your clock/stats/mv but the permanent live allows the boiler
to perform other functions such a pump/fan overrun when required
to prevent overheating

not all boilers require this. But as a rule the vast majority do

Thanks DGOBS - the rep said it was probably ok till now because the heat settings had not been up to full. I hope to change boiler soon but should I get a permanent live feed in immediately for the old boiler.

Yes, when you get it serviced ask your serviceman can he do it for you
(some can be difficult if the power is not at the boiler to take)

Still on my non condenser boiler and getting different view's on not having a permanent live feed. I'm told frost protection wont work as boiler will not fire up - probably can do without this but is the heat exchanger at risk? I'm told once settings are not up full on boiler i'll be ok as temperarture wont go too high. May have to wait a year or two to change boiler -money worries and now I'm worried over this permanent live feed even though it's been year's like that.

...I now have the same problem: I've just been told that the wiring and logic rail have been incorrectly wired. Issues arising from this are:
1. No frost protection
2. No anti-cycling protection (which boiler uses to promote longevity/efficiency)
3. Over time, when the boiler cuts out, with water at max temp, because you're cutting the (only) live feed, the pumps won't 'run-on', and the pressure in the system local to the heat exchanger, may prompt it to leak/fail, prematurely.

No, I'm not fuggin' impressed with my 'SEI Approved' installer either !!

Sorry to hear that galwaytt - I'm trying to find out by having the heating temp. adjustment at 3 instead of on full at 5 will this protect the heat exchanger? I'd imagine boiler wont be as efficient but in summer you would turn this setting down in anyway.

Without a permanent live your boilers are not fitted to manufactures instructions and can effect any warranty you have left, my advise would be to turn your boiler off from the on/off switch on the boiler or turn the thermostat knob to zero as much as possible instead of allowing the timer to cut power, this prevents any over heating issues(most common problem) and when things get cold *always* leave the clock on 24hrs with boiler control in the off position if you are not using it, to prevent frost damage, the boiler will can always fire to protect it's self if you give it power from the clock, Gary.

Sorry to hear that galwaytt - I'm trying to find out by having the heating temp. adjustment at 3 instead of on full at 5 will this protect the heat exchanger? I'd imagine boiler wont be as efficient but in summer you would turn this setting down in anyway.

The lower you have the the boiler stat the better, but the boiler is designed to have a pump over run to dissipate the heat from the heat exchanger and even turning down the boiler stat will allow heat to sit in the boiler, the boiler is not designed to handle or cope with this heat, Gary.

I already posted this query but seems to have gone AWOL. I have just been given a quote of 3000 to replace my gas boiler. It cannot be replaced where the existing one is. He suggested I should put it in the attic but that will cost 3,500. The quote goes: Supply&fit icosElise HE Bolier in front bedroom 3000, in attic 3,500
New Controls, Timer
All rubbish removed + 2 days installation. Is this an excessive quote? Thanks in advance.

I would get more quotes, you would soon get an idea of the price, if you go for the attic installation then be aware you will need decent access for servicing and for yourself if you have to go to the boiler to change settings or possibly to press reset due to overheating issues, that can occur with the boiler being the highest point of the heating system, which is not recommended, Gary.

if you go for the attic installation then be aware you will need decent access for servicing and for yourself if you have to go to the boiler to change settings or possibly to press reset due to overheating issues, that can occur with the boiler being the highest point of the heating system, which is not recommended, Gary.
Good Point Gary, thank you.

Back