Gas boiler query....

el88s

hi,
ive just got a new boiler, but now ive been told that ive been fooled and that its illegal to put an ordinary boiler in, and that i should have been advised that i had to put in a condenser boiler. i paid 1,460e for the baxi boiler.
it seems to be working fine. should i listen to the gas service man who told me i should have put in a condenser boiler?
there was a price difference of 400euro

Yes youur serviceman was correct to point this out to you.
From 31 March 2008 there is a requirement that all new installed boilers achieve a minimum of a B band rating (condensers!)

Only if particular circumstances arise that lead to a difficulty in installing such a boiler then a standard is allow (details of that can be downloaded from the sei or cer websites)

Remember a condenser at €400 extra would be saving you minimum 10-15% on your yearly gas bill.........

i got this guy from bord gais website.....should i report it??
and what should i do now??

Your installer did advise you badly but I dont think the gas police will be knocking on your door any time soon. You could ask your installer to replace it with a condensing boiler and just pay the price difference but I doubt if you will have much joy.

Yes youur serviceman was correct to point this out to you.
From 31 March 2008 there is a requirement that all new installed boilers achieve a minimum of a B band rating (condensers!)...

How is that enforced?

maybe that new law is just for new houses?

No.

Standard efficiency boilers like the one you have had fitted have been band in the UK for a couple of years and this was enforced very well by Corgi,
as DGOBS wrote they have been banned here since march last year, but this is not enforced by anybody i am aware of as yet, as the new Corgi like setup is in it's infancy at the moment and do not have the inspectors in place [broken link removed] it might be worth contacting them and also the trading standards because you have been sold a banned item, Good luck Gary

Just out of interest, which particular model do you have?

Assuming it's new, I doubt Baxi (a very reputable make by the way) even do "standard" boliers anymore. If it has "HE" in the name you're almost certainly OK, as that's the term they use for condensing boilers.

I've just had one fitted, by the way - the extent of my expertise in this - the one I have has an "A" energy rating.

It wouldn't necessarily be the manufactures responsible, but the merchants who stock piled the cheap boilers that came from the UK.

No.

Standard efficiency boilers like the one you have had fitted have been band in the UK for a couple of years and this was enforced very well by Corgi,
as DGOBS wrote they have been banned here since march last year, but this is not enforced by anybody i am aware of as yet, as the new Corgi like setup is in it's infancy at the moment and do not have the inspectors in place [broken link removed] it might be worth contacting them and also the trading standards because you have been sold a banned item, Good luck Gary

How did Corgi enforce it?

Every gas installer in the UK would have to be registered with Corgi and have a id to prove this, every new boiler comes with a benchmark book which must be filled out and left with the customer, on it will be the installers corgi id number and business address, also all the details for flushing, inhibitor and what chemicals were used, the installer would then ring Corgi to register the boiler installation with Corgi, part L of the building regs would mean the installer would have to do calculations like the BER to get the correct boiler size for the property, so the boiler is not over sized or undersized, if the installer fails on any of these points then the customer can report him to corgi, who are very happy to come out Wright a report and if need be remove the installer from the registration scheme if the installer has not made good the instructions from Corgi, also anybody who is removed gets their details printed in a national magazine and put on the Internet, this is the kind of thing that will hopefully happen here as the quality of Irish installations tend to be woefully bad making things difficult for the quality heating engineers out there as anyone can give boiler installation a lash, Gary.

You mean theres nothing to stop someone putting an old boiler in if no one reported it.

I've not seen any info on this in Ireland, in the general media.

You mean theres nothing to stop someone putting an old boiler in if no one reported it.

I've not seen any info on this in Ireland, in the general media.

not only that, but there is nothing stopping someone sticking an ad in the paper claiming to be gas installer/service person. although this year it will change and people will be prosecuted if they work on gas without qualifications and on the register

Hey Gary, that benchmark book sure sounds like a good idea, you mean it even ensures they FLUSH the system and use INHIBITOR when installing boilers....WOW........maybe it should even state if the system is sealed or open vented...or SEMISEALED!!!!!!!!

But I am 100% sure it would be ridiculiously hard to have a STANDARD in Ireland for installing boilers, I mean, what would all the cowboys do for work? And they pay for flushing and inhibitors and install as per manufacturers instructions in the install quote, you do realise we are in a recession....!

Next thing you'll be telling me, they should fit those thermostats thingys too, and zonevalves, and 3 channel time clocks (3 IMAGINE THAT..WOW)and hey while were at it, maybe install them correctly too to achieve the fabled 'boiler control system interlock' all sounds a startrek to me though who ever heard of someething eletrical having more that 3 wires anyway (orange and grey wires...nah..snip, snip).......god after all this is ireland, the county where we can stick a 1300ltr oil tank at the back of our house on a tempory' pallet, and be sure it'll be ok for 15 or 20 years!!

HMMMMM....WAS IT JOHN LENNON WHO SANG ...IMAGINE....

for all those who dont know me, sorry for the rant, but useless installers are really getting up my nose, have had 7 sludged up systems this week alone...not to mention all the others I have been to, why on earth intallers can't do things as they should be done (and were paid for) is beyond me

Did he give you a certificate of compliance? if not then you should report him to the Gas Company. The price he qouted you seems cheap, very cheap, I have recently had a gas condensing boiler fitted and it cost €1885.00 but that was a straight replacement, as far as I can tell gas back boilers are not available in condensing models,could be wrong? something to do with the flue and drain off? Anyway looks like you got a cheap deal if thats any consolation. I have a second house with a baxi bermuda and it will need replacing soon as I am renovating the house and have been told that I need to use a wall mounted boiler, I have been qouted from almost €2700 to €4000.00 from 4 different companies.

Remember a condenser at €400 extra would be saving you minimum 10-15% on your yearly gas bill.........

Is €400 the right ballpark in difference in price between the 'old' and the condensing boilers? My plumber, who says he quoted on the basis of the old type is telling me €800 is the difference...

Back