Gas Bills for House for a Year

burger1979

Hi folks,

I live in a 4 bed detached house and have just totalled up the gas bill for the first year of living in the house and it has turned out to be €1,007 for the period October 2008 to now. This seems expensive to me, what do other people think? I use the gas for central heating and cooking. Just wondering what other people think.

thanks,

burger.

THat seems about right. We have a similiar house and would have roughly the same bill as you. We used to have a gas fire which we replaced by a small wood burning stove and foung my gas bill reduced greatly but would still be around the same as yours (was greater with the gas fire)

thanks for that fobs. we are getting a stove put into the front room over the weekend and i am going to turn off the rads in the front room and dining room if the heat from the stove can handle the two. but the thing is that there are only 2 of us in the house at the moment. i think i'll switch off some other rads in rooms that we rarely use and let the heat spill into them from other heated rooms of the house.

Right i switched off some of thr rads in the rooms that we dont use. then the heat came on for an hour during the evening. i sat there and watched the boiler for the whole hour and once did it turn off during the hour. When i was living with the parents their boiler would switch off every so often, i am assuming as the temp set by the stat had been reached. but this doesnt happen my boiler. i even turned down the temp at the boiler to about 50 degrees and still nothing. am i right in thinking that once the temp is reached by the stats on the wall that the boiler should switch off temporarily and then come on again as the temp drops to heat the rooms up again? i have 2 stats one in the living room and one in the main bedroom upstairs. there are two control valves in the hot press.

burger

I think ur bill is quite cheap in compared to mine. I did a calculation of my gas guzzling boiler (Potterton Suprima 100 )and it works out at 2.40 euro per hour . If my boiler was sucking gas for 6 hours a day for 180 days (half a year, oct nov dec jan feb mar) that would be 2,592 euro per year.:eek:

My house is about 1600sq ft . The heaters get absolutely boiling hot. The boiler is either on or off, there is no half setting.
Maybe i need to get a smaller boiler.:confused:

Ours works out at €850 for the year. We only use it for heating/hot water. During the summer we flip a switch and heat the water only and not the radiators. This happens for about 4 months of the year.

Back