Garden wall

M

miki

I have just moved into my new house (semidetached) and the fence separating the houses is the timber slot-into concrete ones, if you know what I mean. If I want concrete walls, how do I negotiate with the neighbours to share costs? I am afraid that if I do not initiate, the neighbours on both sides might suggest it first and each might want different type of walls and therefore, I will be stuck with having 2 different walls on both sides of the garden.

wall

>If I want concrete walls, how do I negotiate with the neighbours to share costs?

This would appear to be simply a case of sitting down with them (individually first) and proposing the idea of 50:50 split for each neighbour.
Essentially you'll have to pay for one wall (half the wall on your right and half the wall on your left).
Make it non confrontational and you should be fine.

Re: wall

Plus you could start a kind of domino effect that could be to everyone's benefit. Get a quote to have it done and find out how much of a discount would be given if several houses require the same thing. This way you might get other neighbours on board who possibly weren't thinking about it but who recognise that it'll cost significantly less if several houses get their walls done at the same time.

ICBIT

That's exactly what happened with my neighbours. A number of people did their walls at the same time. I only had one wall to share with my neighbour (My neighbour on the other side had the shared wall built before I bought my house) It was great value at the time.

Marion :hat

Back