Funding Revolut from a Credit Card

Lucius Lamb

[copied from another thread - Brendan]

I have a Revolut account but no money in it. Quickest way to add money is from my credit card, which is blocked ........

Last edited by a moderator:
Quickest way to add money is from my credit card

It's just as quick to suck it out of your bank account. Or ask someone else to transfer money to you while you sort out the problem.

Does adding money from your credit card not result in high charges as, I presume, it's a cash withdrawal?

Brendan

Does adding money from your credit card not result in high charges as, I presume, it's a cash withdrawal?

I was not charged interest or fees in the past when I used Google Pay (my BoI credit card) to add money to my Revolut account. Neither was interest charged when I used the credit card to make a sterling bank transfer through TransferWise.

Hi Lucius

That is amazing.

So if need cash, I can suck it out of my credit card via my Revolut card and then withdraw it at the ATM via Revolut.

I was sure that BoI would treat that as a cash withdrawal.

Presumably Revolut does not pay a fee to BoI for the "purchase"?

Brendan

I don't use my Revolut card very much but I used to top it up with my Ulster Bank credit card without any extra charges. I switched to Avant and they charge €2.50 cash advance fee.

I’m the same, i top up my Revolut, mainly from my credit card, have been doing it for about 2 years now, its instant, and no fees, or charges accrue, and it is not treated as a cash advance, the banks must hate this loophole, as it is technically a cash advance/transfer.

The Revolut free account, has an ultra low, ATM monthly limit of €200, before charges kick in, so in the rare situations where i need cash, i topup Revolut from AIB Credit Card, then transfer it (people call it bunny hopping!)over to N26, which has a much more generous ATM limit, in that there is no max limit, but subject to a max of 3 ATM monthly withdrawals, before N26 charges kick in.

The only charge involved in doing this, across 3 banks, is AIB when i pay the credit card balance

Just thinking out aloud, if you topped up with a PTSB DC would you also earn 10 Cent per transaction

Could work, but has the PTSB Explore current account, not got a €6 per month fixed fee, €72 annually ? The one remaining Irish Bank account i have (AIB Current Ac), its €4.50 per quarter, plus charges for any incoming or outgoing payments, but i have moved allmost all of these onto N26, and never make an ATM withdrawal or use the debit card for anything any more, so its roughly under €20 for a full year.

The only reason i kept it, is i can’t get paid into a non Irish Bank account, and i still get the odd cheque, believe it or not.

Yes it does but there are other discounts like a percentage off your Sky and Airtricity bills and I still get 4 cent a litre off Circle K
I was just thinking of the silliness of doing a transfer each day, each month and you'd end up with €36 at the end of the year :rolleyes:

The Circle K discount is good, allthough i have an EV ! I don’t have Sky, and Airtricity’s rates, i’ve found to be consistently non compeditive, even with an additional 2% off the bill with vat, it would be worth maybe €30 a year to me, but eaten up in my particular case, by much lower rates for gas & electricity from other suppliers.

but having said that, these all add up when combined, and when one is using them all.

Have added €900 to revolut from Google pay using AIB credit card. No fees. Have been doing this for the last 2 years. Seems like a loophole, but not complaining.

Is 900e the point at which there are no fees?

I just talked to my bank (AIB actually) and there is a .20c fee for any transfers from your AIB account via Google pay.
So it isn't "no fees" but I guess .20c is quite insignificant for a 900e transfer.

Altho if you were topping up the revolut regularly by e50, etc. those .20c would add up throughout the year.

Is 900e the point at which there are no fees?

I just talked to my bank (AIB actually) and there is a .20c fee for any transfers from your AIB account via Google pay.
So it isn't "no fees" but I guess .20c is quite insignificant for a 900e transfer.

Altho if you were topping up the revolut regularly by e50, etc. those .20c would add up throughout the year.
Credit card top-up through Google pay has stopped for some reason, happened a few months ago. There's no charge for me for credit card, there are charges for debit card.

I'm still able to top up by credit card without any fee. I'm surprised by this because I could actually top up and transfer back to AIB. Essentially a cash withdrawal on the credit card with no fee. Could even use it to pay the credit card.

I have my BOI credit card linked to my Revolut and you are not charged cash advance fees when you top up from it.

I have my BOI credit card linked to my Revolut and you are not charged cash advance fees when you top up from it.
Cool, so I guess BOI don't have that .20c fee per transaction.

losttheplot, perhaps using a CC is different to the Debit, and there is no fee for moving money into the Revolut.

I top-up my Revolut funds using an AIB credit card via Google Pay and I have not noticed any 0.20c fees thus far.

Hello,

I was just wondering, for those who are transferring from Credit Card, to Revolut, is it a Mastercard credit card, and do you have a Mastercard debit card from Revolut?

(in other words, is it free transfers from Mastercard to Mastercard, for example?)

Mine is a Visa card. It's a transfer to the account, not a specific card. It doesn't show up as a cash withdrawal on the AIB card, just a regular purchase. I assume Revolut are paying merchant fees for this.

Back