Full blown mid-life 'crisis' (electric guitar buying)

Betsy Og

Never has a crisis been so much fun...:)

Just wondering if anyone else of this vintage (40) has felt the same irresistable pull? Been a fan of rock/metal since I was a nipper, have put in a few years tipping around with acoustic, which my son is also learning. So really I'm buying them for him....nah, I'm buying for myself but its a handy excuse/rationalisation. But there's clearly a lot of vicarious living going on with getting him into guitar. That said I hoping electrifying the situation may drive on his occasionally waning enthusiasm (10 y.o., they likes their screens).

So for those interested I'm about to take possession of a Squier Strat Affinity (a Fender cheapo brand version of a Fender Stratocaster - which are a classic electric guitar, that most people would pick if asked 'What does an electric guitar look like?'), for the princely sum of €100 (I could probably re-sell for a profit whenever I want, they are not the basement basement one and are about €230 new). For the second one I've gone new for a decent copy of a Les Paul, its a Vintage (that's the brand) V100 AFD, for €400. Most 2nd hands seem to be Stg£250 privately, so risk in chancing those. By all accounts a better job entirely than the Epiphone Les Paul versions (Epiphone being the budget version of Gibson who make the real Les Pauls.. which cost a gazillion ... well €5k-€8k ish, I didnt really bother looking). Would definitely lose money on this one but probably always worth half the price at least. So those are probably the 2 most stellar of guitar types for rock metal, the Gibson SG (Angus from AC/DC) would be another...for another year....if ever.

I have an amp from years back for non guitar purposes.

So responses to this outpouring are limited to;
  1. Great value, you chose wisely.
  2. You'll never look back.
  3. Me too.
  4. You should try z/y/z effects pedal, amp, pre-amp, pick ups coz they're great.
Responses along the lines of; money wasting eejit, betcha you'll never play, you're old - get used to it, that gear is crap you should have bought x/y/z/ for half the money etc. will not be entertained :p.

I tell myself its the safer end of the buying a Ferrari and having an affair with the secretary type of mid-life crisis....:D

Don't rule out the Ferrari just yet... but best of luck with the "mid life crisis" ... I do worry for your neighbors though!! :D No doubt we'll have another post along the lines of " Noisy Neighbor from 'ell " on AAM soon. ;)

.. I do worry for your neighbors though!! :D No doubt we'll have another post along the lines of " Noisy Neighbor from 'ell " on AAM soon. ;)

That's the beauty of living in the back of beyonds, nothing but livestock to complain!

Speaking as someone who saw 40 back in the noughties, you're making me feel very old if 40 is when your mid-life crisis starts. I've not had mine yet but then I'm only 21 in my head

I do have an inkling to take up the piano though. I feel a band coming on

In my head I'm perpetually about 27, still have the money scrimping student mentality (above splurge notwithstanding - e.g. have never bought a new car, or even a premium brand 2nd hand, cant seem to justify it), still play the same sports (slightly lower level but was never that high level for starters)...greying hair is about my only giveaway. #nosurrender #gimmedahdye :D

Mid Life Crisis, What Crisis? I'm getting those uncontrollable urges too. It is not a good idea to sit in front of a laptop with cheap flights beckoning for January/February to eastern europe. It is very easy to click the offers and then book a cheap hotel and on arrival find mountains of snow blocking exits from the airport at -20 degrees.

Mid life crisis, I could write the book . . .

Last edited:
My dad was just on the phone to say he'd got a great bargain in skinny jeans....in red.

He religiously reads Vogue

He's 79. Now that isn't even a mid life crisis....

[QUOTE="amtc, post:
He's 79. Now that isn't even a mid life crisis....[/QUOTE]

I think that's called not giving a proverbial ... I aspire to that state of mind !!:D

It must be a 40s thing. I am spending more & more time on Amazon looking at things I "need". It's fun while it lasts however when I realise the mouths I need to feed, it all comes crashing down!.

Having said that we are currently midway through a big refurb job on our house and I quietly slipped in a Nest thermostat to the list. I mentioned getting a few smart sockets too. Mrs Firefly asked what in God's name would I use these for. When I suggested she could turn on the electric blanket from her phone her eyes light up!

Men don't have mid life crisis. They just get to a certain age at which they can afford the things they have wanted since they were 16. After 20 or so years of putting other people first you are now in a position to do the occasional small thing for yourself.

Back