FTTH duct installation: who does this work? what to look out for?

abackman

I signed up for Vodafone's 2gbps FTTH service, only to find out from the installation engineer that there is no duct to our house, so he couldn't install the service. According to Vodafone, I need to install the duct myself. Fair enough, I suppose, but who does this work? Is this something any general contractor can do? Are there standard specifications that they would follow? Is there any certification required? My fear is that I pay someone to dig a trench through my property and Vodafone comes back and says it's 2cm too narrow, or it needs to be 2m away from the mains or god knows what else.

Also, Vodafone said they couldn't tell me where the duct needs to run to – obviously one end terminates at my house where I want the fiber to come in, but the other has to connect up to the existing network...somehow? Is this something that the contractor will be able to figure out? I presume the existing network doesn't just happen to come right up to my property line and then stop, so how does that last meter get crossed?

This is for a private, detached residence in Arklow, in case that matters.

(Edit to add: I've tried googling for providers, but all I've come up with is broadband service providers, HVAC folks, and a handful of industrial-scale contractors)

Do you know if you are connecting to the Siro or Openeir fiber network? The installation engineers should have been able to tell you where the duct needs to be :(

Do you know if you are connecting to the Siro or Openeir fiber network? The installation engineers should have been able to tell you where the duct needs to be :(
Openeir. Arklow is listed as a SIRO town, but their website says it's not available for my eircode. I'm up in the Ferrybank side, so maybe that's why? ‍♀️

The installation engineer that Vodafone sent out didn't give a ton of information, just that there was no duct to the house. He also said that if I called Vodafone, they and Openeir would sort it out, which...nope, not how it works apparently!

Eir publish a https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf (guide) for duct installation. As above, Siro or Eir will also be able to confirm where the touch point is.

I had FTTH installed in ~2020. EIrcom provider. The installation guys came out to the house and ran the Fibre cable to the pole nearest my house then asked my if I wanted it ducted or if I wanted it run from the pole direct to the attic.

There was a waiting period for them to run the ducting so I chose the direct pole to attic option. No problem.

Point to note they were offering to run the duct for me (no mention of a charge) if I so desired but I would have had to wait.

Back