Free Pre School year from Sept 2016- (23 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmkar20

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could clarify something for me. I rang our local Pre-school about starting our son in Sept 2016. I was told that the additional pre-school year given in the budget was only for 23 weeks and not 38 week. (he will be attending in sept 17 also)
So in essence she was telling me Sept 2016 -23 weeks free & Sept 2017-38 weeks free.

Is she right?

I have a 3 year old (birthday in March) started last month in pre-school part-time (paying for 3 mornings). This is with the assumption that we would not send her to primary school in Sep 2016 as still a bit young, and therefore use the free preschool entitlement next year as it would be full-time.
If we had claimed instead for this year, would the new announcement have allowed for us to also claim for Sep 2016-on ?
Basically, have we missed out on a years free part-time pre-school...? (And if so, is it too late to do anything about this?)

As I understand it, you should have claimed it this year as the birthday falls within the timelines for this years scheme. We have a 3yr old (since June) who started the free year last month. If we had left it until next September he would have been too old and outside that years intake timelines.
He will also now qualify for the 2nd free year from next Sept.

To me, it looks like you have missed out on yr1...unless you can talk to the current pre-school and see if they could process the paperwork asap. But I'd guess there are deadlines for getting the paperwork in

I have a 3 year old (birthday in March) started last month in pre-school part-time (paying for 3 mornings). This is with the assumption that we would not send her to primary school in Sep 2016 as still a bit young, and therefore use the free preschool entitlement next year as it would be full-time.
If we had claimed instead for this year, would the new announcement have allowed for us to also claim for Sep 2016-on ?
Basically, have we missed out on a years free part-time pre-school...? (And if so, is it too late to do anything about this?)
You should speak to your pre-school and see if they can register your daughter as a late entrant to the ECCE scheme for this year

HI,
fme you can make a late entry as much as 8 weeks into the scheme, so if you get on to your pre-school immediatly and ask them to backdate until beginning of September you should be refunded for the Sept and Oct amount. If you do avail of the scheme this year you will need to up her attendance to 15 hours per week. I hope your pre-school have space to accomodate your daughter - there is only 1 week left for them to apply.
Delboy - the rules of the scheme for this year (pre-budget) were/are that a child had to be 3 between Feb 1st 2011 and June 30th 2012 to be eligable for the 2015 Sept scheme. therefore for children born between beginning of March and end of June there are 2 possible entry dates - two possible years.

Yes, on paper your child will get 15 hrs a week but no parent is under any obligation to send especially a younger child five mornings a week...they simply aren't able to cope with it all, this is true for older children at the four...

Thanks all for the replies. Am chasing pre-school tomorrow.
Would be a nice bonus...!
Must try to think of others I know in the same boat...

I have 4 year kid, As I was planning to do enroll name in preschool. For my kid this free preschool would be perfect to attain soon year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back