flat attached to house

eamo15

looking for some advice i am thinking of extending above my converted garage and creating a two ROOM flat with own entrance attached to my family home..i live in newbridge area would i get renters in this part of kildare, I would soundproof the walls ..
Any advice welcome im just lookig for a way to make extra money using what we have.

Make sure that it comes into the rent a room scheme, flats attached to houses do, but not sure if you need an interconnecting door or not. And you still keep their own entrance.

Look up daft or the room share site to see what's renting. Ask a local estate agent what they think.

Last edited:
Make sure that it comes into the rent a room scheme, flats attached to houses do, but not sure if you need an interconnecting door or not. And you still keep their own entrance.

Look up daft or the room share site to see what's renting. Ask a local estate agent what they think.

If you plan on using the rent a room scheme, make sure that the project is fully financially viable without the tax exemptions, treat them as a bonus. Theres no guarantee that they will still be in force over the life of your project.

You will need planning permission to create a separate flat. In all cases I've seen, where permission is granted, the conditions explicitly state that the flat must not be rented out and can only ever be occupied by direct family members. So they allow granny flats to accommodate elderly relatives.

You will need planning permission to create a separate flat. In all cases I've seen, where permission is granted, the conditions explicitly state that the flat must not be rented out and can only ever be occupied by direct family members. So they allow granny flats to accommodate elderly relatives.

Unfortunately Leo I bypassed the planning and it's now over the limit for the council to do anything about it. I also rented it out to social welfare tenants. ie paid for by the state. And paid NPPR etc on it.

They don't actually.

Yes they do if they are part of the building. In my case I wasn't using it for the rent a room. I just put in a single brick wall where the kitchen led into the garage extension. It already had a door out as that was the back door and that became the front door of the 'flat' and I put in double doors to the dining area of the house to make a door out the back for the main house. If I was doing it again I'd just do heavy double doors like you have in interconnecting rooms in hotels.

Unfortunately Leo I bypassed the planning and it's now over the limit for the council to do anything about it. I also rented it out to social welfare tenants. ie paid for by the state. And paid NPPR etc on it.

OK, I was pointing that out for the OP who was proposing a new development.

In your case, if the time limit for enforcement has expired, it'll likely only become a problem if you need to sell or seek further planning in the future.

Back