first time buyer?

mpob

My wife purchased current property before our marraige and her name alone is on the title deeds. We are about to move house. Can I purchase the new property as a first time buyer?

I think technically you can be regarded as a ftb BUT most of the lenders will require that your wife be on the Title Deeds because this is a Family Home ( a property within which a married couple ordinarily reside) and lenders don't like the difficulty of having a non owning spouse in occupation. Should they ever have to repossess, the non owning spouse can cause difficulties that would not exist if the property was in their joint names.

If its in joint names, you won't be regarded as a ftb.

mf

If its in joint names, you won't be regarded as a ftb.
Hope I don't confuse issues as mf1 nailed it on the head.

There is a possiblility that even though if you buy as a couple and your FTB status is gone, you can still claim FTB TRS relief (if seperatly assessed for tax - potentially losing any gains from transfer of credits [may or may not be an issue]). This does not make you a FTB, but you can recieve FTB rates of TRS for 7 years on your portion of the mortgage.

If you wife is still within the 7 year term of FTB TRS she also can claim the higher relief.

Back