First Active Regular Saver - 7.15% on up to €1K p.m.

I had the same issue, but when I look in the transaction history the interest does show up here. It must just take an extra day to load to the account fully. Strange...

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can answer my question.

If i reached 15,000 in my a/c, do i still have to keep saving in order to get max interests on 15,000? what would happen if I stop standing order? would my a/c still be open or would it be closed automatically?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can answer my question.

If i reached 15,000 in my a/c, do i still have to keep saving in order to get max interests on 15,000? what would happen if I stop standing order? would my a/c still be open or would it be closed automatically?

If you are thinking of using this as a holding account for the 15K, then are you aware that the interst rate on this account has dropped to 4.90%. If are aware of this and want to keep your money there then I think you are required to keep the SO in place for the account to remain open [however you can change the SO to the minimum which is only €1 :D which I am guessing you could afford.]

thanks Darando. I'm sure I can afford €1 at the moment, but at the same time, you make me think that maybe I should put 15000 somewhere which gives higher interest.

thanks Darando. I'm sure I can afford €1 at the moment, but at the same time, you make me think that maybe I should put 15000 somewhere which gives higher interest.

well if I am not correct, technically you have a lump sum of 15K and want to get the best rate. So you have a few options:

withdraw and cancel the FA account and lodge to a fixed term account (best rate is 4.9% for 1 year)

withdraw and lodge in a lump sum account (currently best rate is 4.75 with Anglo)

however you can leave it where it is and keep feeding in €1 per month and use the account as a home for the lump sum and get 4.9%(i.e. just don't withdraw, its there already)..this is what I would do if I didn't want a fixed term account.

Just keep an eye out for rate changes.

Will I need to physically lodge cash in a First Active branch to open a regular saver account or can I transfer the initial deposit online from my BOI current account?

One more question, the way things are I would prefer not to commit to set amount of money each month, is it possible to set the regular savings to the minimum then transfer money each week from my current account to the FA regular saver account, i.e, one week I may have €50 to spare, the next it may be €200.

François said:
Will I need to physically lodge cash in a First Active branch to open a regular saver account or can I transfer the initial deposit online from my BOI current account?

When I did it, it had to be a personal cheque / bank draft. The particular branch I used doesn't handle cash lodgements.

Btw you are aware that this thread is fairly old? A lot has happened since it was originally started so I advise you to review the best buy threads to ensure you know what the current offerings are.

I did hear talk way back that due to FA been winded down (whereby FA accounts are been transferred to nearby UB branches) that certain FA branches are just redirecting customer to UB for opening new accounts.

François said:
One more question, the way things are I would prefer not to commit to set amount of money each month, is it possible to set the regular savings to the minimum then transfer money each week from my current account to the FA regular saver account, i.e, one week I may have €50 to spare, the next it may be €200.

Mmmm I don't know of anyone that has actually tried this. I don't think it will work. Amongst other things it's a monthly saver not a weekly saver.

The standing order that the account requires is easy to use especially since most online banking allows you to change the amount easily and conveniently.

I note that the FA regular saver account has now changed to UB. A/c operates as normal, so you can still lodge up to 1K a month with 4% interest currently offered.

However, this is only for FA customers whose a/c has been to UB. If you want to open a new UB regular saver a/c, the 4% int is still offered but max lodgement is 500 a month.

I think the best buy thread should be updated to point this out.

However, this is only for FA customers whose a/c has been to UB. If you want to open a new UB regular saver a/c, the 4% int is still offered but max lodgement is 500 a month.

As far as I know UB now allow €1,000 a month on all reg saver accounts.

I note that the FA regular saver account has now changed to UB. A/c operates as normal, so you can still lodge up to 1K a month with 4% interest currently offered.

Myself and Mrs Bogle have each got an FA Reg saver. Decent rate, money accessible without penalty, very good web site - all courtesy of the UK tax payer who now own 70%?? of RBS.

The rate is now 3.46% (AER 3.50%), not all that good any more. I liked it better when it wa 7.15%!

Back