finshing up my job in the UK, returning to Ireland, benefits?

garythegreat

Im finshing up my job in the UK next week to return to ireland. I will be looking for work but will be going on a 3 week holiday over the next few months. I hope to start a new job after xmas.

Am i entitled to any beneifts? Im leaving my job in the UK as it was only really a 6month thing, althogh I could stay a bit longer if I wanted (but theres no work anymore)

Re: Benefit Question

Not sure of benefits available.
Pretty certain you can claim back any tax overpaid in the current tax year.

If you were living in the UK temporarily and had a short-term contract which has now come to an offical end (you are not choosing to become jobless) you would be eligible for benefits. Make sure to collect the relevant supporting documents from your UK employer. If not you may be entitled to income support but that is means-tested (if you have assets or savings over a certain amount - can't remember how much - then you would not be entitled).

Informatin on the Irish Social Welfare system can be found here http://www.revenue.ie/

Contact-details for your enquiries are:-
Department of social Community and Family Affairs
Aras Mhic Dhiarmada
Store Street Dublin 1
Tel: 353 18748444
Fax: 35317043870
e-mail [email protected]

You will not be able to claim Jobseeker's Benefit in Ireland until you work here and pay at least one Irish PRSI contribution. Alternatively, if you "sign on" in GB before coming over, you may be able to transfer up to 3 months entitlement, at GB rate of payment, of your benefit and get it paid here. You must have this arranged before you coem over and you must register in your local Iirsh SW office when you arrive here and present the necessary documents informing them of this when you do so. Look at www.welfare.ie for more details.

you say you "hope to get job after Xams". Do you mean you are not looking for work until then? If so, you won't be able to calim Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance.

Back