FG mugged the middle class and never touched the banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purple you could always emigrate now if your that upset with the state of things. Stop whinging and do something productive.

I don't think its any governments role to tackle the banks over their interest rates, I do agree that they are overcharging the variable customers but that's a business decision based in my opinion on the trackers and the general profit line.

Variable mortgage interest rates cannot be increase solely to increase the profits of a bank as this is not a valid reason for raising same. Interest rates are usually increased pro rata to offset any increase in the cost of funds ( short term and long term ) that banks have to pay in the money market.

Purple you could always emigrate now if your that upset with the state of things. Stop whinging and do something productive.

And why should someone like Purple who is doing something productive emigrate while paying their way and no burden to the country leave.

I would think that someone who has not ever done something productive and who "whinge" that there should be more entitlements for them would be the first that you would be advocating this solution to jim

The result of the election is dreadful. Too many people appear to think that rectification of the ENORMOUS debacle that FF led us into should have happened lickety-split with no burden on them. So they vote out FG/Lab because they don't like the necessary medicine. Short-sighted to say the least.

By "do something productive" i dont mean work i mean contribute productively to the forum, or to the country instead of bloody whingin.

Ahhh, so work is not productive? Work doesn't contribute to the country? Purple does have a right to his opinion and frankly he has a point. The current Dáil should be an interesting beast - not even Gerry "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" Adams has any faith in its longevity. We need stability not fecking around with half-baked populist promises from FF (extend TRS again?) and nasty shenanigans from SF.

Everyone should respect the result of the election whether or not your happy with it and please dont insult the intelligence of the electorate.

We are all entitled to call it into question. None of us are fomenting rebellion and advocating ignoring the rule of law or taking up arms against the state (except perhaps SF). As for the intelligence of the electorate - there is little of that in evidence in the selection of this Dáil - but leaving aside that, whoever thought the mob was intelligent? I am a big fan of universal suffrage, I just regret that that has to include people who think that the end of their own nose is the best place ever.

I've too many commitments and family reasons to go. My kids might miss me a little too.
By the way, how do you know what I do outside work to contribute to society? This forum is good and fun and informative but it's the Internet, not real life. The social media generation doesn't seem to realise the difference.

Ahhh, so work is not productive? Work doesn't contribute to the country? Purple does have a right to his opinion and frankly he has a point. The current Dáil should be an interesting beast - not even Gerry "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" Adams has any faith in its longevity. We need stability not fecking around with half-baked populist promises from FF (extend TRS again?) and nasty shenanigans from SF.

We are all entitled to call it into question. None of us are fomenting rebellion and advocating ignoring the rule of law or taking up arms against the state (except perhaps SF). As for the intelligence of the electorate - there is little of that in evidence in the selection of this Dáil - but leaving aside that, whoever thought the mob was intelligent? I am a big fan of universal suffrage, I just regret that that has to include people who think that the end of their own nose is the best place ever.

For some reason I cant "Like" posts here so instead I'll say Hear, Hear.

As for the intelligence of the electorate - there is little of that in evidence in the selection of this Dáil - but leaving aside that, whoever thought the mob was intelligent? .
So-crates I think that the process is called democracy, where each individual is allowed to vote, if a lot of citizens vote one way you seem to be calling them a mob, maybe you should think about moving to China, where you can exercise your vote more constructively, provided you vote for the only show in town, the communist party.

The re-emergence of FF is staggering. I expected some sort of bounce for them but this is GUBU.
Yes, the last Government can definitely be accused of sitting on their hands ( smugly)

The re-emergence of FF is staggering. I expected some sort of bounce for them but this is GUBU.
Yes, the last Government can definitely be accused of sitting on their hands ( smugly)

So-crates I think that the process is called democracy, where each individual is allowed to vote, if a lot of citizens vote one way you seem to be calling them a mob, maybe you should think about moving to China, where you can exercise your vote more constructively, provided you vote for the only show in town, the communist party.
You are not disagreeing with So-crates then, just affirming that the mob gets a vote.
If the AAA-PBP looneys get their way we won't have to move to China, but we'll get 1970's China, not the current version.

Couldn't agree more about the smugness... The arrogance of the coalition was boundless... so many needless political own goals. Roscommon hospital with Kenny caught lying, stroke politics with John McNulty's state board appointment setting him up for the Seanad, the botched Seanad referendum, the ridiculous one about voting age, the Alan Shatter \ Garda Commissioner debacle... and they are just the ones off the top of my head.

I can't say I agree with all the decisions the electorate made, but certainly they've seen 5 years of FG\Labour and voted accordingly and I can't fault their desertion of the coalition.

As I've already stated I'd never swap universal suffrage for a "benign" dictatorship of any description (such as AAA's election promise -read the literature- of founding "a party for the 99%"). But a mob is a mob and while it can make decisions it is in no way guaranteed that the outcome of asking everyone the same question is either a unified answer, a sensible answer or an intelligent answer.

Recent election results are an obvious example. No matter how much they've been beaten up by FF over the last century, the forgive-and-forget FF supporters are back backing them in droves a mere five years after the last thrashing at FF's hands. Then there are those who've suddenly discovered this radical "new" politics (that has failed miserably and repeatedly across the world for the last 100+ years)... Where's the intelligence in that?

You are not disagreeing with So-crates then, just affirming that the mob gets a vote.
If the AAA-PBP looneys get their way we won't have to move to China, but we'll get 1970's China, not the current version.
Socrates the philosopher was not a big fan of democracy, I am. I find it amusing to see politicians pander to the public with auction and parish pump politics. Same old, same old. Meanwhile, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Socrates the philosopher was not a big fan of democracy, I am. I find it amusing to see politicians pander to the public with auction and parish pump politics. Same old, same old.
I find it amusing to see the public elect politicians who pander to them with auction and parish pump politics. The public have the option of electing TD's to act in the national interest but consistently opt for the gombeens. We get the politicians we deserve.

I find it amusing to see the public elect politicians who pander to them with auction and parish pump politics. The public have the option of electing TD's to act in the national interest but consistently opt for the gombeens. We get the politicians we deserve.
National interest or their own personal interest, I think a lot of politicians get this one mixed up.

The Post is FG .1.mugged middle class and 2. never touched the Banks.

1. By and large the middle class (who I take to be still in reasonable employment) were inconvenienced, not mugged.
I now see them arising ! with their 161 cars , and fair dues to them.
2. No doubt the Banks were not touched, and it might be ,it had to be that way ?

I would not be so despairing of our TD,s
Maybe FF has learned ,eg, in this Dial they were largely reasonable.
Maybe FG will now learn to listen to the mood of the electorate and realise the electorate are more than an economy.
Maybe all the Independent ie the Rest ,will realise that objections and anger ,whilst getting you elected, is not a good policy and builds no houses !.

I think result is a fair reflection on what our Td,s have to agree on,

I think they will .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back