Fence between two Semi Detached

canihave

I'm living in a semi detached house and there are wooden fences between ourselves and our neighbours. I received a letter from them requesting that we replace one of the fences that was damaged. They are claiming that we damaged this fence however their shed went on fire about 3 years ago, which was beside the fence and they did not replace it but put a wooden fence lying against it on their side. After posting the letter they then removed the fence and smashed it up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Am I reading this correctly?

Neighbours damaged fence with fire.
Sent you a letter asking you to repair the fence they damaged.
Then smashed up the fence persumably to destroy evidence of the fire?
Were the fire brigade called when their shed went on fire?

1. Who put down the fences ?
2. Are they party fences or boundary fences ?

If the fence is a party fence it is effectively the shared responsibility of both parties so 50 % should be the maximum liability there.

I think that there is no legal liability on the neighbour for the fire damage if it was accidental in nature - see the Accidental Fires Act 1943.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1943/act/8/enacted/en/html

I would ignore the letter and deal with this verbally as the neighbour's attitude seems a bit presumptuous to say the least. Normally, I would not advocate discussion only to resolve contentious matters but this sounds like a case where written communication might not be preferable !

Am I reading this correctly?

Neighbours damaged fence with fire.
Sent you a letter asking you to repair the fence they damaged.
Then smashed up the fence persumably to destroy evidence of the fire?
Were the fire brigade called when their shed went on fire?

Yes that is correct. We keep turf on our side and they are claiming in the letter that its attracting vermin. However two weeks ago we put sheets of wood inside our side of the fence so in effect its totally blocked off. With the letter they included a photo of the fence but it has now been removed and sitting in a bin out the front waiting to be collected on Tuesday.

Yes the fire engine was called. We were away at the time and there was some damage done to our property but we said nothing as these are the type of people that you wouldn't win with.

As it happens it was our intention to put one of our existing fences in there but I am just wondering where will it go next - complaints of not being correct colour etc. I just don't know legally what we should do. To be honest I just don't want to spend money, time or energy on this - far more important things going on. However at the same time I don't want them to think by us putting in a fence that we are accepting liability of what they are claiming.

The fences were there when the houses were built. They are fences sitting on concrete posts running the length of our backgardens.

These people do not do verbal, we have not spoken to them in years. There is a long history there but threats were made by them to us so I have not had any dealings with them in years

Thanks for your assistance

After posting the letter they then removed the fence and smashed it up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try to take a dated photo of the fence at the bin when they are not around.

They seem strange and you appear to be afraid of them. What do you think would happen if you do nothing?

Yes that is correct. We keep turf on our side and they are claiming in the letter that its attracting vermin. However two weeks ago we put sheets of wood inside our side of the fence so in effect its totally blocked off. With the letter they included a photo of the fence but it has now been removed and sitting in a bin out the front waiting to be collected on Tuesday.

Yes the fire engine was called. We were away at the time and there was some damage done to our property but we said nothing as these are the type of people that you wouldn't win with.

As it happens it was our intention to put one of our existing fences in there but I am just wondering where will it go next - complaints of not being correct colour etc. I just don't know legally what we should do. To be honest I just don't want to spend money, time or energy on this - far more important things going on. However at the same time I don't want them to think by us putting in a fence that we are accepting liability of what they are claiming.

The fences were there when the houses were built. They are fences sitting on concrete posts running the length of our backgardens.

These people do not do verbal, we have not spoken to them in years. There is a long history there but threats were made by them to us so I have not had any dealings with them in years

Thanks for your assistance

This sounds like it is a party fence constructed by the original developers. If so, that is a pain. Check the title deeds, if handy, to see if there is anything there about the nature of the fencing .i.e. party or boundary.

My sympathies on having people like this beside you. We had the same and they were insufferable.

+1 Sue Ellen's suggestion of photos.

Back