FEDEX Bill query

Suzanne

HI There,

I recently bought some chemotherapy caps from Houston Texas as I have lost my hair due to chemotherapy and I could not find any caps that fit my slightly large head here.
I bought 4 caps at $17 each and paid for shipping.

The caps arrived and now I'm being billed for €36 by FEDEX.

Do I have to pay that much VAT and administration for chemotherapy caps?
How come when I am sent products from other sources in the USA I'm not charged this?
I never chose for FEDEX to deliver to me?

I'm also a little concerned that I have no proof that FEDEX have paid anything on my behalf and am a little wary about the security of paying to the bank account number listed at the bottom of the invoice.

Thanks

Hi there, yes seems unfair especially in your situation, could you get these within the E.U. and thereby avoid these charges, duty is applicable to goods coming into the country from non E.U. countries such as your delivery, what is the breakdown of the €36 charge.

It seems that as a private person importing "medical equipment" in the broadest sense, you are liable for VAT and import duties and of course the entries made by FEDEX to process the importation of the goods. VAT is payable on the product cost and on shipping.

FEDEX are authorised by Revenue as a Customs Clearance agent and collect VT and duties on their behalf. You have no control over the seller's choice of FEDEX as their carrier. They may have an on-going commercial relationship agreed between them OR they were chosen because of their status as a clearance agent.

Having said all that, I seem to remember a sum of $115 worth of goods for personal importation which was free of duties. That may be as part of your luggage as a returning holiday-maker and I can't find ant reference to it on Revenue's site.

I would not rely on the argument that you haven't been charged before as a defence against having to pay this time; this charge may be right or wrong, but who's to say about the previous deliveries? Sleeping dogs?

This falls in to a wide ranging category.

The Revenue, The Banks and The Insurance Industry all have one thing in Common.

THEY DON'T DO FAVOURS

Live and Learn

Back