False accussation of videoing a neighbour

I also wouldn't go escalating this.
The landlord told you that the tenant made certain claims.
She could deny this.
There's also a possibility that the landlord misunderstood, is not relaying things accurately, or could even be making it up.
Basically what you're complaining about is second hand info.
And you're making assumptions about what other people might have been told with absolutely no evidence.
You go accusing her of defaming you and she could claim that you're harassing/defaming her.
I would just ignore it.

Hi
I live in a semi D, house attached is rented out to
Female late 30s for past 7 years aporox. I have had serious issues re noise, power washing back garden at 2am, keeping 4 dogs and their litters and the noise associated with this, apart from the dogs, going out shouting at the dogs and slamming patio doors at all hours of the night / morning.
When it becomes unbearable I have contacted the landlord and things settle. We do not engage with the tenant in the house.
The landlord asked for a chat Tuesday just gone, we met, he said his tenant has accussed me of video taping / recording her in the back garden the previous evening using my phone, we have no security cameras etc.
The evening in question I was out painting walls in the back garden, I had bluetooth earpieces in listening to music from my Spotify from my phone. The phone was on a wall in my property, propped up so I could get a clear signal, the accussation is that this is when I was recording her. She took pictures of my phone and sent to the landlord, hence the call from him.

So, She has accussed my through a third party, I would be 100% sure she has repeated this completely false allegation to friends & family, so now in their eyes I am some sort of peeping tom / pervert.

Clearly, I am upset and this is not sitting well with me, I am looking for thoughts on what course of action I should take/ what options are open to me.
Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.
Couple of things.

If the tenant is as bad as you say, it’s unlikely that anybody would attach much credence to what she has to say.

That said, if you left your phone in a position that looked like it had the potential to record her movements, you’ve left yourself exposed. You have no real right to complain about anything the tenant might say about you.

Anything the landlord says on this is inconsequential. He/she is only conveying what they themselves have been told. Their voice has no additional relevance.

The issues you have previously with the tenant are irrelevant. Deal with these in isolation of anything you may be accused of yourself.

The worst case scenario is that the tenant makes a complaint to the DPC. Even if they do, your response is merely that you don’t have any records. Case closed.

Just learn from the lesson and move on.

Last edited:
Some people are all drama drama drama, ignore both the landlord and the tenant, life is to short to be worrying about this vexatious individual and their constant drumbeat to drama.

Do they understand the irony of recording you to support a claim of you recording them? They have no evidence you recorded them but provided evidence that they recorded you. Ask the landlord for their thoughts on that.
There’s no irony to this at all.

If they merely took a record of the positioning of the offending camera, they’re not in any breach of data protection laws. She did not take pictures/video of an individual.

She’s perfectly entitled to do what she did.

Put yourself in the neighbours shoes a second, if your next door neighbour had a phone pointing into your garden and you didn't know why, then it's understandable why they might think filming is going on, especially if there has been some disputes over the years.

The OP can do nothing about what they say to people. They've probably already blackened their names anyway and this will simply add to it. However do you really and truly care about the people they would be talking to?

As other posters have said, keep a record of their behaviour but its unlikely anyone is going to do anything about a door slamming at 2am. Unless there are a council tenant then your options are going to be very limited

If they merely took a record of the positioning of the offending camera, they’re not in any breach of data protection laws. She did not take pictures/video of an individual.
I had read it incorrectly alright, but do we know for sure that the OP or any other person wasn't captured in any photos of videos taken?

many people have security camera,s in their gardens which may overlook on other neighbours land ,
i dont think its illegal to record someone if they are in a public place .my advice is move on ,forget about it and maybe dont put your phone in a place where its pointed at a neighbour over a wall. eg put it close to the ground .
theres always some people who are paranoid about phones , especially single women who may feel vunerable .the gardai have more urgent things to do than deal with minor issues like this

Back