Extension onto boundary wall

JoeRoberts

There is an undeveloped site next to ours. We own the boundary wall and we are thinking to extend out to incorporate the boundary wall, 2 storey. As I understand it, a ground floor window is not permitted on a boundary wall. Would this rule still apply even though there is no building on the adjoining site, ( it is a field approx. 1 acre) ?

Can the owner of the site have a reasonable objection to our proposals if they interfere with some development ideas he may have for the future. The site is zoned residential but he has no planning permission or application on the site.

I got planning from DCC which allows ground floor windows on a boundary.
I would advise you to get your architect to have a pre planning meeting with your local council planner.

Thanks Clonback. Will be having a pre planning meeting so good to know it is possible to have window.

Is the boundary wall 100% inside your property? Boundary walls by definition generally run along the boundary and are 50% owned by each property. If you do build exactly on the boundary, note that details like window sill or roofing/ soffits, guttering etc. cannot extend beyond the boundary.

While you may get permission to place a window on a boundary wall, the neighbour is fully entitled to place a structure such as a shed or build right up against it. Have you spoken to the owner of the adjoining site? You will require their permission to enter their property to render your wall.

Back