Health Insurance Explain the "Excess" on my Laya Health policy.

Bronco Lane

I have an outpatient excess of €150 on my Laya policy. I can claim up to €20 per GP visit.

How does this work?

If I visit my doctor once in the year and it costs €90 for the visit, I cannot claim.

If I visit my doctor twice in the year and it costs €180 (€90 per visit). Can I only claim €20?

If I visit my doctor three times in the year and it costs €270 (€90 per visit). Is my claim €40?

or

Must I make 8 visits to my doctor 8 x €20 refunds before I can claim anything?

I think it is your first description - you will clear the excess on your second visit.

eg If I visit my doctor twice in the year and it costs €180 (€90 per visit). Can I only claim €20?

Does this help explain it?

Example - policy with a €50 Outpatient excess
  • John has an Outpatient excess on his policy of €50 and he visits a Consultant
  • John's allowed amount that he can claim back for Consultant visits is €80
  • The amount that John can claim back is the allowed amount (€80) minus the Outpatient excess (€50)
  • John will receive a refund of €30
  • For future receipts/claims, John will receive the full allowed amount (€80), as the excess has been executed.

Don't forget that any amount not claimed back from your health insurers (including prescription meds) can be claimed at 20% against you tax bill

Don't forget that any amount not claimed back from your health insurers (including prescription meds) can be claimed at 20% against you tax bill
Yes and handily at year end Laya give an option to download a summary / total amounts of your claims and a refund in a PDF.
It is somewhere in the Claims section of the site.

Hope its OK to post here.
My wife and I have the same policy Laya Simplicity.... it states 100 euro individual excess and 200 euro Family excess for outpatient claims.
Only I had claims during the year.......
Laya applied 200 excess to my claim

Do we need separate membership to avail of 100 euro individual excess ?
Have tried to contact Laya but waiting
Thank you.

Hope its OK to post here.
My wife and I have the same policy Laya Simplicity.... it states 100 euro individual excess and 200 euro Family excess for outpatient claims.
Only I had claims during the year.......
Laya applied 200 excess to my claim

Do we need separate membership to avail of 100 euro individual excess ?
Have tried to contact Laya but waiting
Thank you.
Yes, you need separate membership for individual excess. I discovered this years ago and we've had dual memberships ever since. These days we have different policies to match differing health needs - eg spouse doesn't need 100% orthopaedic/ophthalmic special procedures cover, I do.

Yes, you need separate membership for individual excess. I discovered this years ago and we've had dual memberships ever since. These days we have different policies to match differing health needs - eg spouse doesn't need 100% orthopaedic/ophthalmic special procedures cover, I do.
Thank you Met1.
So no advantage having dual membership.

I will know better when renewing.

Back