Expat returning to Ireland - Can't get car insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance not covered in other forums' started by HongKongDub, Dec 28, 2016.

1. HongKongDub

HongKongDub New Member

Hi all,
    Does anybody know a good broker who can at least get me a realistic or even be able to get me quoted for car insurance?

Left Ireland in May 2014 - Was insured on own policy until I moved abroad. Had no claims bonus
    Full Irish License 10+ years
    Zero penalty points
    Living in Hong Kong for 2.5 years with no car.
    Professional career

Unable to get anybody to insure me now. One online site gave me €3300 for a 1.4 petrol car but when I put in my full details they said unable to quote.

Anyone know the best route to getting insured?

2. moneybox

moneybox Frequent Poster

Hi HongKongDub

The fact you didn't have car insurance for the period you were abroad will go against you.
    See here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...land-driving-licences-and-insurance-1.2230688

I read in another forum that you should try your previous insurer in Ireland as they may be able to provide you with a more competitive quote. It is awful to be penalised with such high quotations simply for going abroad for a couple of years.

Another thread on the subject here:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/no-car-insurance-for-persons-returning-to-ireland.197620/

3. NewEdition

NewEdition Frequent Poster

Is it the being abroad or not being insured that is the issue?
    A friend of mine has many years without a claim but stopped owning a car about 3 years ago and will get another car after new year.. Not sure if she is aware that the NCB will expire.

4. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

It has expired already NewEdition. It expired after a 2 year lapse.

5. NewEdition

NewEdition Frequent Poster

What if she was a named driver on another car that she borrowed occasionally? Will that help?

6. PaddyBloggit

Yes .. that will help. She'll be allowed some credit for that. That's a saving grace on her part to have that.

If the OP was a named driver on a policy while he was away that would also get him more reasonable quotes.

7. HongKongDub

HongKongDub New Member

Sorry guys, 32 years old lad. I think its the fact I have no - no claims bonus that is going against me. Can't see any other reason. The online web quotes don't ask why I have a full license for 10 years but haven't been insured in recent years

8. PaddyBloggit

You'll have to ring a few brokers and see what they can do for you.

9. moneybox

moneybox Frequent Poster

10. irishgurl2

irishgurl2 New Member

Its not fair, I've been away now for more than a year and have kept my insurance alive in Ireland by keeping a car and keeping it insured. 450 a year and 190 tax, its a no brainer, I'm not going to pay those extortionate fees for when I do go home. my brother did it too, picked up a cheap fiesta and kept it at home when he was in Oz for 4 years. it actually pays in the long run

11. Leo

Leo Moderator

Yep, absolutely. When you go beyond the norm, you're often better off making a few phone calls.

12. thedaddyman

thedaddyman Frequent Poster

13. HongKongDub

HongKongDub New Member

Thanks guys for your help. Will most likely have to go down the denied insurance route. At least the letters are starting to accumulate now. Big mistake not keeping car insurance alive whilst I was gone but when I left in 2014 insurance prices were not so bad and I didn't expect to be returning so soon!

14. peteb

peteb Frequent Poster

if you have to go down the declined route, your quote will be akin to a telephone number and probably only for third party only cover.

15. Ravima

Ravima Frequent Poster

Were you insured with an Insurer in Ireland with physical offices? If so, could you not try to phone that insurer, speak with someone senior and set up a meeting?

16. HongKongDub

HongKongDub New Member

Ravima,
    I was an Aviva Customer up until moving abroad. This was their most recent email to me. What I wonder is though, how does a new 18 year old driver get insurance these days if named driving experience doesn't even count.

Hi

Thank you for your email.

Please note that the no claims bonus that you had with us has expired which means you now have a 0% no claims bonus in your own name.

We can only offer quotations for someone who has a bonus in their own name, we do not accept named driving experience,

Unfortunately we would not be able to offer you a quotation, if you would like is to send you out a refusal letter please provide us with your postal address.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 332211 Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm.

Kind Regards,
    M
    Customer Feedback Team,
    Aviva Direct Ireland Limited.