Exiting RAS

Lorcan F

I have a tenant who is currently under the RAS Scheme. The RAS lease ends in Feb 2018 but the tenancy is registered till 2021. I do not wish to continue in the RAS scheme so I will not be renewing the lease.
My question here is what do I need to do in regards to informing the tenant? Do I send them a termination of tenancy notice with the termination date the last day of the lease (not sure if this is a valid reason for terminating a tenancy)? Do nothing and assume the tenant will not continue the tenancy after the lease is up? Any other options?

What do you mean "the tenancy is registered till 2021" ?

The only tenancy registration I am aware of is with the RTB and they do not have any time period associated with them.

The tenancy is registered with the RTB and my understanding is that it is v
alid for 4 years. This has recently been extended to six years for new tenancies.

The registration with the RTB is valid for 4 years. That just means that if the same tenancy continues for more than 4 years you need to re-register it with the RTB. The registration fee needs to be paid again after 4 years.

That has nothing to do with terminating the tenancy.

A RAS tenancy is a 3 way contract between the landlord, the tenant, and the council.

They are not all the same, different councils have different contracts, indeed councils have changed the terms over the years so that, one RAS contract is not necessarily the same as another.

I think that you should send them a notice of termination with sufficient notice before the end of the lease. I dont see a form for that.

Back