Executor behaviour.

Laramie, you could have dealt with the clothes. It's not the executors responsiblity to be as socially conscious as you feel they ought to be.

Nicole, do not bring your mother to England. You sound young. Trust me now, stay away from England altogether. Correspond in a nice polite letter to the solicitor and state you want everything to be receipted.

.... and I trust everything will be receipted.....

Vanessa, I will take nothing in monatary terms for the time I've spent, I will do the job my mother expected of me, that's how I view it, she trusted me to do it. If you're also not a beneficiary I can well understand why payment is the right way to go. And in your case the executors were very understanding of what you were doing.

I would like your advice on this aswell. It is my first time going through this so all opinions welcome.
I know my dad has left us a considerable amount of money as well as the house. In the tens of thousands. I have asked the executor twice exactly what the figure is, and he won't tell me.
As he has asked me for 10,000, I think it is very pertinant to know what is in my fathers estate. He won't tell me.
Any thoughts or experience?

Once grant of probate is complete the filed documents are in the public record and you can get a copy of them.

Once grant of probate is complete the filed documents are in the public record and you can get a copy of them.
Do you know how long on average probate takes? We have decided to go over and try and sort it out ourselves as otherwise I think it could drag on over a year

One last question! My dad left his entire estate to me and my brother . I know there are boxes of childhood photos in my dads girlfriends house. Whom I have met twice . I said to my uncle that I wanted them and he fobbed me off. Does anyone have any experience of this. Its a quagmire after someone dies!

UK law may be different but a year to get grant of probate would not be unusual.

You've been given lots of good advice here, but seem disinclined to accept it. Which is of course your perogative; I'm not inclined however to give any further advice.

Make an appointment for yourself and your brother to meet with the solicitor. Make arrangements to view the house before the meeting and discuss with the solicitor your reservations with the manner in which the estate is being dealt with. Ask if it is possible to get a copy of the Will. At the end of the day the solicitor's fee is coming from your inheritance.

When pressed on what was in my fathers bank accounts he was very vague, and said 'theres a few different bank accounts, I haven't totalled it all up', it is around such and such a figure. The figure is much lower than we all believed my father to have, as my father inherited the proceeds of another house. This is a nightmare and I haven't slept well with the worry. We have numerous reasons to believe my uncle is mishandling the estate. Can he spent money in my fathers accounts

Laramie, you could have dealt with the clothes. It's not the executors responsiblity to be as socially conscious as you feel they ought to be.
His wife was one of the beneficiaries. I bagged all the clothes. His wife volunteered to take them to the charity shop/bank.(each of us had volunteered to share different tasks). Neither of them had any intention of doing this. He dumped them in the black bin.

The executor and his wife (my sister) fooled my father in to believing that they would take care of his belongings. Every week personal items were being dumped in the black bin by both of them before the rest of us knew what was going on. Myself and my brother had to ask for a key to the house. The executor's wife had a key.

Regarding bank balances. I asked to see bank statements etc. The executor refused. His wife was allowed to see them though. On this basis we had to raise the legal issue that all beneficiaries have to be treated equally.

A number of small bank accounts were never closed (too much trouble). Small amounts of shares were never dealt with.

I think the OP should take a very active role in her father's estate.

He has now told me the delay in information is because fathers partner is considering contesting the will.
At least I know.
To be honest I dont care if she does. They were together a long time, but not married. I don't think she has any rights to it, and she will occur legal expenses.

He has now told me the delay in information is because fathers partner is considering contesting the will.
At least I know.
To be honest I dont care if she does. They were together a long time, but not married. I don't think she has any rights to it, and she will occur legal expenses.
I'd say she'd be entitled to a share of it if together for a long time and more especially if living together

Major he didn't want to leave her any of it. The last time I was over in England he brought me to see our childhood house and said to me that he wanted to leave it to me and my brother. So I know that was his express wish.
How I feel now is I don't care if she challenges it and every fecking penny is gone on legal expenses. I know my father wanted us to have it and I will fight her and I told them so. And if there is nothing left at the end so be it, I know he loved us and what he intended.

When pressed on what was in my fathers bank accounts he was very vague, and said 'theres a few different bank accounts, I haven't totalled it all up', it is around such and such a figure. The figure is much lower than we all believed my father to have, as my father inherited the proceeds of another house. This is a nightmare and I haven't slept well with the worry. We have numerous reasons to believe my uncle is mishandling the estate. Can he spent money in my fathers accounts

Do you know if your father spent or gave away this money already?

The accounts are frozen as long as the solicitor knows about them and can request same. Nowadays with online banking this can be bypassed but at least the records will show if anyone moved monet after date of death,

The accounts are frozen as long as the solicitor knows about them and can request same. Nowadays with online banking this can be bypassed but at least the records will show if anyone moved monet after date of death,
Unfortunately if nobody knows what accounts exist except the executor then this could be a problem and even then a lazy executor might miss an account or two. I certainly did not trust the executor looking after my father's will and I was proven right when I discovered papers that the executor had thrown in a bin.

Back