ex self employed welfare entitlements

belle185

having run my own bus for 15 yrs im now calling it a day, my wife is a civil servant on 50k i am going to find other work (as an employee) but am i entitled to any welfare/tax back etc if i dont get a job immed. we've 2 kids and i am fully tax complient! thanks

You could try adn get Jobseeker's Allowance while seeking alternative work, but this is subject to a means test and your spouse's earnings, any property you own (outside of family home), any savings over €20,000 will be assessed as means and you may be over the limit to actually get payment. You won't know unless you try! read up on it here: http://www.welfare.ie/foi/ja_jobseekall.html#condmeanstest

Could I suggest that you get that job (any job part or full time) quickly.

Fill up Form 12a on first day of employment and you will then get a PAYE allowance (not available to Self-Employed). This will mean the first €8000 approx. of PAYE earnings in 2007 will be tax free.

Make a year end tax return to include both you and wife,s P60's plus any income form self employment.

Move married tax credits to wife (as it appears she will be the higher earner)

Finally don't forget to De-Register as Self Employed if you intend to remain a PAYE member and have totally given up the Self Employment
N

Back