EU National with non-Eu national partner

delgirl

I've been trying for more than one week to get in touch with the Irish immigration authorities, but the lines are constantly jammed.

Does anyone know if an EU national can come to work/live in Ireland if his wife is Asian? Does she need a visa?

Thanks

[broken link removed]?
Non-EU/EEA nationals who do not require work permits to work in Ireland

You are entitled to apply for work in Ireland without a work permit if you:
  • are married to an Irish citizen, or are a parent of an Irish citizen and have been granted permission to reside in the state
  • have been granted refugee status by the Minister of Justice
  • are studying at postgraduate level and are required to work as an integral part of your course, e.g., doctors, dentists, etc.
  • From 1st June, 2002 (in accordance with the term of the [broken link removed] ), you do not need a work permit if you are from Switzerland and are coming to Ireland to work.
and
Do all non-EEA nationals have to register?

No. Certain groups of people do not need to register. For example, children under 16 who are non-EEA dependants of EU nationals and seafarers whose ship remains at port in the State and who do not land in the State for discharge. If however you are a spouse or dependant of an EU national, and you are entitled to stay in Ireland under the [broken link removed] (pdf), you will still need to register and obtain an Immigration Certificate of Registration. Your certificate will have a special stamp indicating your residence status under these Regulations. This will exempt you from a visa requirement on travelling into the State. In other words, this eliminates the requirement for a re-entry visa in these cases.
Post crossed with Newby's.

It alll sounds so simple above...

As far as I am aware, your spouse will need to apply for a Spouse Visa (D type) which can take 8 weeks or so. You may have to be registered here first. When she gets here, she will need to register with the Gardai to get a Stamp 4 visa in order to work.

I went through this process as an Irish national married to non-EU, apparently being an EU national (i.e. not Irish) married to non-EU extends the time for all the processes.

Back