Establising Next of Kin

Broadcaster

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before.

My elderly cousin is the last living member of her family (brothers and sisters all now deceased) and she is now suffering from dementia and living with a friend but will shortly go into a nursing home. She has her own home and farm, hasn't made a will, has several nieces and nephews all living abroad but no real contact with them. If she goes into the nursing home the authorities require her next of kin to sign up for the Fair Deal scheme. Does anyone know who can be legally considered her next of kin. I am assuming it is one or several of her nieces and nephews. Someone is required to make decisions around her care but those of us close to her at present are not legally seen as the ones to do so.

Any advice how we can help her?

Thank you mf1 for your helpful link.

It would appear that it may require two people to act in this case as the specified person cannot apply for the Loan associated with the Fair Deal scheme. That falls to the Care Representative who cannot be the specified person. Seems like a long process is ahead to try to get things in order along with ensure my cousin has a safe "home" in which to spend her days.

Thanks again.

Sorry may I ask where does it state that in the link or on the HSE site?? I understand that the specified person can also be the care representative and therefore can apply for the Loan as well! It would not make sense otherwise.

Back