Enable CAPTCHA to prevent spam posts

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by Páid, May 28, 2015.

1. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. Seagull

Seagull Frequent Poster

I'd rather see occasional spam than have to enter a catchpa every time I log in. I realise that's a selfish view, as I don't have to clean up the junk.

3. Leo

Leo Moderator

We do use CAPTCHA for new user registration, so while it will block the basic bots, the more determined spammers like the above will slip through.

4. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

The captcha is for registrations, not every time you login.

They must be manually registering or have found out a way around ReCaptcha.

5. 44brendan

44brendan Frequent Poster

I know the mods will kill me but I'm seriously tempted to open up the one telling me how to get beautiful skin:(

6. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Guys

Please ignore these unless they are up for a few days. We get them very quickly.

Reporting them creates a bit of extra work for the mods.

Replying to them may entertain you , but it does not entertain the mods.

These are people and not bots.
    Lots more try to register and get caught by the spam filtering.

Under vBulletin we had an add-on which prevented new users posting links. The last time I checked, xenForo did not have this facility. I must research it a bit more. The spam, the reports and the responses are taking up a lot of time.

Brendan

7. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

I'll stop reporting them then.

I always found that using questions was more effective than an image captcha especially if the subject was something a person living in Ireland would know but not a foreign spammer.

8. Leo

Leo Moderator

As Brendan says, most likely manual. There are tools now available to spammers that can get better results than humans on CAPTCHA challenges,

9. Páid

Páid Frequent Poster

The problem with using forum software like Xenforo is that the registration page is the same for all installations. By customising that page even a little can break their tools and exclude a lot of spam e.g. by including a gate keeper style question and answer that people outside of Ireland are unlikely to know.

10. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi Páid

Thanks for prompting me to address the spam issue.

We have now installed an add-on which has a lot of anti-spam functions.

We have banned registration by countries: Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, India. These countries were the source of most spam. We can add more countries later.

If a poster tries to include a link before he has 10 posts and has registered for 3 days, the post will not be allowed.

We will see how that goes. Hopefully these measures will eliminate it or reduce it.

Brendan