Electricity meter types - MCC03

Wandering_Dazed

My parents have a MCC03 Meter, which consists of 2 spinning meters. One is the old 24hr meter and the secondary one is timed overnight and wired up to storage heaters. The storage heaters are their backup heating in case their primary heating system has an issue during winter.

This type of meter config is called 24hr+NSH which 70k+ dwellings were using back in 2007. I assume a lot of these have been upgraded since then.

They switched to a MCC02 plan last year but their NSH time didn't work, the SH's were charging during the day.

Tried calling, then emailed ESB Networks 10 days ago and still waiting a response,

In short, my question is... should they get onto to ESB Networks and upgrade to a Day/Night (MCC02) meter for free and switch to a MCC02 plan? Or is there a leccy plan for MCC03 meters?

To get a meter changed, you need to contact the existing supplier.

ESB networks - who do all meter changes, will only take a meter change instruction, from the current supplier. They do not take instructions for meter changes, from the end customer.

You should contact the existing supplier, to discuss the options available, get more information, look at suitable tarriffs etc, and decide, if a meter change is required.

If a meter change is the decision, you then get the current supplier to put through the meter change request, to ESB networks.

Once that is done, contact ESB networks to check they have
1)received the meter change, (if not go back to the supplier and request again), once it has gone through, then,
2) get an update from ESB Networks, on progress, and date and time of install etc.

Some tarrifs cannot be implemented, as they are meter type dependant, such as a Day/Night tarriff, which is dependant on the meter being a day/night meter.

To get a meter changed, you need to contact the existing supplier.

ESB networks - who do all meter changes, will only take a meter change instruction, from the current supplier. They do not take instructions for meter changes, from the end customer.

You should contact the existing supplier, to discuss the options available, get more information, look at suitable tarriffs etc, and decide, if a meter change is required.

If a meter change is the decision, you then get the current supplier to put through the meter change request, to ESB networks.

Once that is done, contact ESB networks to check they have
1)received the meter change, (if not go back to the supplier and request again), once it has gone through, then,
2) get an update from ESB Networks, on progress, and date and time of install etc.

Some tarrifs cannot be implemented, as they are meter type dependant, such as a Day/Night tarriff, which is dependant on the meter being a day/night meter.

Thanks @fayf ! What you advised is what my research had led me to. However when my parents called their existing supplier they said it was essentially "not their problem, contact ESB Networks".

I'll advise my parents to contact their current supplier and be more firm with their ask or indeed conference me in on the call.

Call ESB networks, and they will confirm to you that ,a “meter change request”, has to be requested by current supplier, ask them for advice on what to do with a supplier, who says otherwise.

Back