Key Post Easiest way to know when oil tank is empty?

Re: Key Post: easiest way to know when oil tank is empty?

I used to use a spare sweeping brush pole

Me too - did it last night. Not being smart, but I don't really understand why there seems to be such a mystery about all of this. If you don't want to buy a meter - stick some kind of pole in then?!?! :confused:

Me too - did it last night. Not being smart, but I don't really understand why there seems to be such a mystery about all of this. If you don't want to buy a meter - stick some kind of pole in then?!?! :confused:

i agree, it's not rocket (fuel?) science!! :D

Ok Welfarite I can remember sucking petrol out of my dad's car that way to put into my mothers :) when petrol stations were closed etc. But how much home heating oil can you realistically carry - it can't be worth it surely for the hassle and quantity. Thanks for the airlock advice, but I wasn't on hand and no way would I trust a tenant to do it.

Ok Welfarite I can remember sucking petrol out of my dad's car that way to put into my mothers :) when petrol stations were closed etc. But how much home heating oil can you realistically carry - it can't be worth it surely for the hassle and quantity. Thanks for the airlock advice, but I wasn't on hand and no way would I trust a tenant to do it.

yeah, I always wonder when you read about a whole oil tank being emptied overnight....do they pull up with a tanker and do it? How come neighbours don't notice?

Get your point re tenants....probably easiest way to get it done by getting plumber. It would be different if you were a householder, well worth learning how to clear airlocks.

Appollos are available in any heatmerchants (bit expensive with them though!) seen cheaper in a hardware store in Dunshaughlin (about €70) takes 10 mins to fit...very easy

Now watchman have come out with a non-contact version same as the Appollo, both are very good and easy to fit

as for the stip in the tanks to see the oil level, it would be very expensive to insert it, and even then would be a source for leaks! as tank would have to have a strip machined out to insert the see through bit, and remember even if you found a way to do it at lets say a modest increase in tank cost and it was safe to use, you think any builder is going to bother to pay more to install it !!!! most dont even site tanks correctly or support them!

if you want to see the issue with ur see-though-strip suggestion, visit Titan in Cavan and have a look at how tanks are manufactured & tested to see problem with your design idea, think youd be more likely to loose your first million (try the dragons den....:D)

You will do the burner no damage if you let the oil run out.The outlet connection on the tank is higher than the sediment and all tanks are fitted on a slight slope away from connection for this reason, there is also a filter fitted on the oil line. you will however have an airlock which depending on the pipe lenght can be a pain to clear.

A great investment is a device called a tigerloop (trade name, probably more with same kind of thing) it is a cup within a cup with different chambers, its quite small. It creates a vacuam in the chambers and if you were to run out of oil it will prevent airlocks. It is also good as it will draw oil from your tank if it is lower than burner. this device is non electrical.

I wouldn't fit a see through tube as the caps on top can be easliy removed and the tube iself is easy to pull from its holding bracket. It can become a filling tube in the wrong hands and put back without any damage. Make it hard on the thevies.

Davy, worth reminding people, tigerloops should not be fitted indoors, and under no circustances in the boiler cabinet! as the oil vapour is open to the air.

If one is required internally, it has to be a special non-venting type

Back