Early retirement HSE

Mam1996

Hi there,
I'm wondering if there's anyone with recent experience of early retirement due to ill health from the HSE. How difficult was it to go through the process and if there's any tips on how to navigate it? Would I need help from a pension adviser or is it something I can do myself?

I've been cocooning from work since the start of the pandemic and now due to vaccination status am doing a 2 day week as per occupational health guidelines. It's quite difficult due to lots of various symptoms and most weeks are a real struggle.

I'm considering going to my GP and taking time out but realistically my disease is progressive and I can't see a time when things will get easier.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think all your questions will be answered on the above thread.

1. You don't need professional advice.
2. It's the Medical Officer will decide whether you qualify for Early Retirement on Grounds of Ill Health.
3. You can make an appointment with your Medical Officer merely by contacting his/her office.
4. You may be entitled to added years if you are entitled to Early Retirement due to ill health.
5. The tendency is to issue Early Retirement in such circumstances (due to litigation etc).
6. Forgive the following flippant comment:- Once your're gone, you're gone. Once grounds of ill health affect your retirement there is no way back - cold of me to say this, but what you're embarking on should take no more than 4/6 weeks. Once you've seen the Medical Officer you just need to wait for the decision.

Last edited:

2. It's the Medical Officer will decide whether you qualify for Early Retirement on Grounds of Ill Health.
3. You can make an appointment with your Medical Officer merely by contacting his/her office.
4. You may be entitled to added years if you are entitled to Early Retirement due to ill health.
5. The tendency is to issue Early Retirement in such circumstances (due to litigation etc).
6. Forgive the following flippant comment:- Once your're gone, you're gone. Once grounds of ill health affect your retirement there is no way back - cold of me to say this, but what you're embarking on should take no more than 4/6 weeks. Once you've seen the Medical Officer you just need to wait for the decision.
Thanks so much for your reply Leper, I had seen that thread just wanted to see if anything had changed. I guess it's up to me to get the ball rolling so, very scary prospect as I'm only 43 but it's taking me over 2yrs to accept the diagnosis. New year big decisions.
Thanks again and happy new year to you!

Just as an afterthought:-
1. You could approach your GP who will arrange a Medical Report which on your permission will send to the Medical Officer of your employer.
2. You will pay the GP for the visit plus the extra for the Medical Report and whatever correspondence happens between the Medical Officer and him/her.
3. It won't speed matters up, but is an option if you wish.

Just to reiterate:- (i)When the Medical Officer makes his/her decision it is immediately irreversible. (ii) You might find it difficult to find further employment in the future.

Last edited:
Just as an afterthought:-
1. You could approach your GP who will arrange a Medical Report which on your permission will send to the Medical Officer of your employer.
2. You will pay the GP for the visit plus the extra for the Medical Report and whatever correspondence happens between the Medical Officer and him/her.
3. It won't speed matters up, but is an option if you wish.

Just to reiterate:- (i)When the Medical Officer makes his/her decision it is immediately irreversible. (ii) You might find it difficult to find further employment in the future.
Brilliant, you're a mine of information, thanks again

You might find it difficult to find further employment in the future
This is the bit I'd be concerned about. At 43, you've a long life to live yet, if you're not earning, you're not contributing to a pension either.

Have you other options?
Is it an option to take a different post on shorter hours? Could you take another 6-12 months sick leave?

It's very hard to make good decisions when you are not in the full of your health. Take your time.

This is the bit I'd be concerned about. At 43, you've a long life to live yet, if you're not earning, you're not contributing to a pension either.

Have you other options?
Is it an option to take a different post on shorter hours? Could you take another 6-12 months sick leave?

It's very hard to make good decisions when you are not in the full of your health. Take your time.
I'm of the same opinion as Thirsty.
1. You can extend your sick leave and sooner or later (probably sooner - my gut feeling) your employer will send you to the Medical Officer to see if you are able to carry the full range of duties. This might result in (a) Being given lighter duties or (b) Being retired on grounds of ill health.
2. When you retire you are entitled to a lump sum (not huge after 20 years of service) and a pension based on the number of years you have completed + additional time for being retired on health grounds.
3. If you decide to work again after being retired you are obliged to inform your new employer as to why you retired - you don't have to state the illness. Any letter from your old employer regarding your service will contain the phrase "retired on grounds of ill health."

Again, apologies for being stone cold.

I can't thank you both enough for your concern and advice. I really am caught between a rock and a hard place. Basically my symptoms are quite debilitating and one of my consultants(one of many unfortunately) has told me that basically this is as good as it's going to be, I'm maxed out on treatment and there are no new trials in the pipeline so I don't know when there could be hope on the horizon. It's an autoimmune disease with many organs involved so will make life quite difficult over the next while.
I'm thinking at this stage I'll continue with the 2 days as per occupational health, when it comes to me returning to my full hours l guess I'll just see how it goes and deal with it then. The longer I can stay thd better.
From a pension point of view, you're right, I'll have used up my resources but as the pension will be taxable I guess I'll qualify for contributory pension. I'm hoping that I may also qualify for invalidity pension so this combined with whatever pension pay out may bump me up a bit. Luckily my husband is well paid and we don't have much in the line of major debts apart from our mortgage which hopefully will be gone in less than 10yrs.
It's great to get some more opinions, I'm so grateful

Hi leper do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions about early retirement from the hse

Back