dubai

D

dripsey

Has anyone bought bought proprty in Dubai. I am thinking of doing so, heard there is good returns to made from property there.

think again

I was there last year . Interesting place. loads of development. To date you could not buy a property freehold. the Land that the property was built on was still owned by the sheikh.
You were in fact taking out a 99 year lease.
The sheikh managed , barely , to change the laws and was allowing people to buy freehold.
This is not fully in place just yet.
The sunday business post ran an article on this last year and it was telling people to be wary. Until this issue is decided.
I met two people over there from dublin who had bought apartments and they didn't seem very aware of the finer details !!!! BTW , both were taxi drivers........

I have a friend working out in Dubai for 10+ years. I saw a property I was interested in and asked him what he thought about property in Dubai and I've copied his reply here. It's a long reply, but there is some interesting reading here.

"The property market in Dubai has gone haywire in the last eighteen months. I'ts being described as a "frenzy" in the newspapers because of the amount of interest in what's going on here.

What's happening is that the market for the first time is allowing foreigners to own property here. They're given a residency visa as part of the deal and this suits a lot of TCN's out here (Third Country Nationals like Indians, Pakistanis etc.). A lot of Arabs are buying blocks of apartments and they remain unoccupied. It's just like a game for them seeing that they have a lot of money to play around with and they've never done this kind of thing before.

The biggest concern for an investor is the lack of a real estate history out here. This is new territory for the developers, lenders, banks, indivudual investors etc. so there are a lot of unknowns. That's why we feel out here that the risk is too great although there is certainly the potential to make a killing if we're proved wrong. I have met guys out here who have made a lot of money already with "off the plans" purchases. The authorities have copped on to this and last week it was announced in the papers that invstors must own the property for at least two years before selling on. This law was passed overninght and is part of the overall problem. You don't know what these guys will do next. They just appear to be making the rules up as they go along. This is high risk from an investment point of view in my opinion. I also read last week about some Pakistani investment that was offered ten years ago. They've now decided to change the status of the investment and not to go ahead with it as originally planned. The investors will only get what they put into it without any interest. Just another example of what could happen. Some people believe that things have changed and that the fututre is more certain than before. I don't agree, but that's where the gamble comes into play.

As well as that, there are only three major companies who are licenced to sell these properties. Emaar is the largest one and AL Nakheel (the one in your email) is one of the others. However, I have seen large advertisements taken out by these companies in the newspapers advising people to be careful about agents claiming to be working on their behalf. A lot of these agents don't have official permission to sell and I don't know if your guy falls into this category. It could be a real problem in the future if this is the case.

Regarding guaranteed return, this is the first time that I've seen this and I can't see how it will happen. That alone would make me suspicious !! They're predicting that the population in Dubai will double in the near future and that these people will need places to stay. This could happen, but most of the new arrivals will be TCN's working for small money so I can't see their companies forking out large amounts for accommodation. As well as that, the market for studio apartments would be aimed at these TCN's regarding renting. Since it's an unproven market, I would steer well away from it just for the moment. I'ts only my opinion and I could be proved wrong in the future, but that's the way I see it at the moment.

I've heard that they are pushing Dubai in Ireland at the moment. I think it's just part of the frenzy that's going on out here and that the background fundamentals don't justify the investment. These guys know that there's money floating around in Ireland, but most people don't know how the system out here works.

At the end of the day, it could be a great investment. The consensus amongst those I know (and who have bought properties before) is that it's a sort of Pyramid Scheme and time will expose the truth. Others feel that it's the opportunity of a lifetime and there's some truth in that depending on who you listen to. I suppose it's not the end of the world if you lost the deposit and take the gamble, but I'd research these guys more before doing anything."

This is just the opinion of somebody working in Dubai. He's not into property development, so there's no hidden agenda in his reply.

Biggery,

Thanks for posting this, I suspect you could end up with a lot of people owing you large amounts of pints if they get to read it.

Roy

"This law was passed overninght and is part of the overall problem."

Agree with Biggery's friend - I lived in the Gulf for 5 years and would advise anyone looking at property there to be extremely careful. The Gulf States are a law unto themselves and can change the law at will to whatever suits them on any particular day!

They could decide one day, depending on who's in power, that no foreigners should own properties and hey presto, your investment has disappeared!

good point delgirl

Did this not actually happen in iran in 1979. Prior to this iran had been the place to buy property and was experiencing a boom. The change of mullah in 1979, all property owned by foreigners was nationalised . And hey presto, your trendy appartment was no longer yours......

a few Dubai thoughts

- "I've heard there is good returns to made from property there [Dubai]"

Yep, me too...if the 10% yield claims are true (and they may be). I don't think Dubai is a good investment right now, unless you spend time in, or have connections in Dubai. Despite the hype, this isn't a plug-in-and-profit market.

- "This [anti offplan purchase speculation] law was passed overninght and is part of the overall problem"

I disagree. I think this a reasonable measure to insure the market doesn't run away with itself. It may mean the time for huge short-term gains is over, but may also signify the time for solid, reasonable growth.

- "The consensus amongst those I know...is that it's a sort of Pyramid Scheme"

I agree that this is possible, but I think it unlikely. Although Dubai's population is not growing as fast as apartments are being built...the local population are not the end users of these types of apartments--tourists are. And tourism is big in Dubai (admittedly, for now).

Programme on this evening on BBC2 at 8pm "Dubai Dreams" for anyone who's interested.

Free hold, lease hold, does this make much difference if its an investment property, who cares if you dont own the land it is on... if your making money and the Sheik is happy then surely its a win win situation which should be applauded...

Obveyously you check the contracts and make sure you do actually stand to make a return, and not fall into a property shark nightmare. But eitherway we look at it you make a profit which is tax free so long as you keep the revenue out of a taxable country. Bank it off shore. Does anyone know anyone who lives more than 99 years??? Sell before you die is the deal!

Location location location - it's important to keep this in mind. ACoz is right, the length of term is immaterial in many respects. But in Dubai it's where it is that matters.

It is well watered desert. It is next door to a country about to collapse, it's odds-on there'll be no KSA by 2010, Iraq is up the road and there has been a growing threat and instance of attacks on westerners in the UAE. The yanks are itching to avenge Bush I's mess up when at CIA (the fall of the shah) and are gungho to get Iran, whether they do or not, it's making the region even more unstable.

With oil's wobble the area will see less tourism, less development and since all the local head honchos have their money stored in Europe and the States, the merest whiff of revolution or collapse and they're in the south of France or Marbella!

The tourism there is hotel based and the large number of visitors is seriously skewed as it includes the numbers stoping over for more than 1 hour on their way elsewhere!

But if someone likes the deal and plce, go for it!

Back