Domestic food waste

Tebbit

I'm wondering what is the law if any regarding disposal of domestic food waste. - I'm talking someone, not a business, who throws this out the back of their house?

I throw banana skins, apple cores, orange peel and other uncooked peelings out the back, in minute quantities as I live alone with my dog. Where is the problem in this behaviour? I'm feeding birds and other wild-life and nourishing the soil. Most of the back is now wilded, uncut and uncultivated.

I'm guessing the OP is concerned about rats, flies and smells. You might have no neighbours for miles Mathepac but in a terraced house if my neighbour did that I wouldnt be too impressed. The fruit wouldnt be a big issue. But again OP is probably talking bread, cooked dinners etc.

I live in a housing estate and feed cooked food-waste to my dog as throwing this out the back could attract flies, etc, if it escaped the attentions of the 53kg Rottweiler whose domain it is!

I'm wondering what is the law if any regarding disposal of domestic food waste. - I'm talking someone, not a business, who throws this out the back of their house?

Are we talking recycling here? Or is cooked chicken carcasses etc?

Cooked chicken, cereal, bread , spuds etc. Drawing wild life that eats it, huge amounts of birds. Regularly throughout the day. Really ruining my home for me. Don't use my back yard so much any more. In a housing estate. Can't understand how anyone can do this. And am gonna have to do something about it.

Right Norma. You will have to take your case to some local authority. You are right in so doing, there is a health risk here and you have a right to protect your health. If it were me, I would talk to the person responsible at least twice before any action. Then take notes and take pictures of the situation. Cover all the eventualities as there can be a tendency in Ireland to blame the person who is in the right - (how dare you ask for the money back which you lent me only five years ago).

Back