Dog Breed Recommendation

No names yet ... still thinking and thinking and ...

I can't get discs with their names etc. on them until names are chosen.

Until then they are just being called 'Boys'. "Boys come here", Boys, which one of ye did that" etc.

My vet advised me not to get the dogs name on his/her tag In case someone trys to take them and if they call them by name, they are much more likely not to make a fuss. He suggested just a phone number. Makes sense I guess. Your boys are just beautiful. I have a ruby King Charles - exact same colour as the boys. Always loved setters.

I have found that the plastic discs are the best and I order them through my vets. The info fades over time on the metal discs. I have come across stray dogs who have discs but couldn't read the contact details because of this problem.

I got one of those thin metal tags for my boy when he was a pupster. As previous poster suggested it got all scratched. However I replaced it with one from a crowd in Cork. Again it was metal, but much sturdier with a cute paw print on the front. Have that one about three years now. I just put both of our phone numbers on the front with the words I am chipped (no name). I am sure you don't need to be told to chip your wee boys and register their details on one of the databases. The website for the tags is just www.pettags.ie (no conxn). Good luck w/the new arrivals!

I have found that the plastic discs are the best and I order them through my vets. The info fades over time on the metal discs. I have come across stray dogs who have discs but couldn't read the contact details because of this problem.

These are the tags that I ordered http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/Round-Medium-Plastic-Pet-tag-5p33.htm

Compulsory microchipping kicks in at end of March and the rules are here as well as a handy way of checking for dogs who are already microchipped https://www.fido.ie/chipcheck Under the 'Overview' option the rules are listed.

My fellah has one of the Cork tags. Solid brass with embossed info - this type. As restricted breed, Long-haired Rottweiler, he is already chipped, IKC registered, etc.

This is Jay, Cork brass tag, Tipp colours, in his bed while visiting Galway. A truly Multi-national Mutt! The plastic tub is XXL size with my little 52kg beauty relaxing.

My breed recommendation> Rescue a dog from your local pound, they are killing unwanted dogs at the rate of 2,600 per year (DSPCA figures). Look for a Rottie of course the gentlest and smartest of giants.

By the by since the introduction the breed specific legislation, BSL, the number of attendances at A&E for dog-bites has increased and the breeds targeted by idiotic BSL don't figure in the stats.

Jay_Tipp_IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:
Great tips here - name tags & furminator!

How did you get delivery to Ireland? Page says that seller doesn't deliver to Ireland.

Ordered one of theses yesterday for use on my forever molting Golden Retriever.
Bought it from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O2453T8?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1 (this seller) on Amazon for £10 plus cost of parcel motel coming to approx.€18.
Priced them in local pet store and they were over €50

Hope this cheaper version works out ok for you. I was warned by other dog owners that I should only buy the branded one as some of the others can actually cut because of the blades used in cheaper versions. Maybe if you use it very gently until you get used to it. One dog groomer that I know doesn't approve of them. Ours hasn't caused any problems.

Hope this cheaper version works out ok for you. I was warned by other dog owners that I should only buy the branded one as some of the others can actually cut because of the blades used in cheaper versions. Maybe if you use it very gently until you get used to it. One dog groomer that I know doesn't approve of them. Ours hasn't caused any problems.
Is it a cheaper version/fake?
I was not too sure at first but after a bit of research I think it may be one of the earlier models. On close up it has the proper patent label. Will examine it carefully when it comes before using it on the dog
thanks for the advice

Where did you source your Furminator Sue Ellen?

(An aside - I see the Daily Mail is looking for you - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3332234/Where-stars-Dallas-now.html )

I bought it eventually in Maxi Zoo because the guy there let me try it out before buying. Maxi Zoo are usually quite expensive but weren't that much dearer at that time than even e-bay or elsewhere. That was a few years ago.

If only I could look as well when I reach 74 as Linda Gray does I'll be doin' all right http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2851048/How-does-Sue-Ellen-look-BETTER-older-gets.html

Is it a cheaper version/fake?
I was not too sure at first but after a bit of research I think it may be one of the earlier models. On close up it has the proper patent label. Will examine it carefully when it comes before using it on the dog
thanks for the advice

It certainly doesn't look like a fake when you check Google or e-bay/amazon. There is a big price difference though which would make one wonder.

I wouldn't brush the dog as harshly as they do in that video until you get used to it and check that it is ok to use safely.

Thanks @Up Rovers. Paraic and I share membership of a couple of doggy facetube groups. He's done great work on his recent paper. I'm a big supporter and information sponger!

Last edited:
Jay is beautiful. Totally agree with you on the BSL rubbish.
Thanks @Sue Ellen, the greatest canine pal I've ever had. He's a handsome divil and knows it. I bask in the reflected adoration he receives, he's a huge hit with the ladies (human). The poor lad is of no use to doggy ladies!

I use the Furminator on Jay. I have to. Nothing on this earth sheds like a long-haired aka curly-haired Rottie. I could knit blankets for all the dogs in Ireland from Jay's moults, if I could knit - I certainly wouldn't lack raw-material. Maybe with training from a retired FAS knitting consultant I could could knit hair-shirts for some of the greedy and selfish in our society, a little cottage industry, Me & Jay Enterprises Teoranta, "Penitence is Our Game, Wear Our Shirts with Shame!"

I'd encourage anyone using a Furminator to be careful. Doggies can, just like ourselves, have little lumps and bumps on their skins - warts, moles, skin-tags. A carelessly used Furminator could cause poor Shep or Rover a lot of pain.

Paddy,

You did say March @ earliest ?, but I see 2 hairy things in your porch.So much for New Year Resolutions!
Red Setters are a lovely breed (have a hairy casting Golden Retriever myself)

Enjoy the training !
You will stay fit !

Back