Dog Breed Recommendation

PaddyBloggit

My dog (a Red Setter) died suddenly today. He was in the back seat of the car, he let out one painful yelp and died.

As my dog died suddenly he didn't have a chance to breed. I've always kept a male from the litter so that I've kept the same family going so to speak.

I don't want to get another setter because it wouldn't be the same.

When I get another dog I'm going to get two so that they'll have company (probably from the same litter).

What I'm looking for is recommendations - they'll be well cared for.

The one thing that I've had with the setters is the large amount of hair they shed.

Because they were house pets . the hoovering was a constant.

If I could get a similar sized breed with less of a shedding hair problem it would be great.

Any opinions on dobermans - I've seen one locally and he seems placid and quite smooth haired.

I won't be getting the puppies until March at the earliest ... too soon to introduce a replacement

.... out of respect to a loyal companion.

Hi Paddy,
Sorry for your loss. We have a Boxer and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. We got him as an engagement present and he was the baby of the house for a time, until the real babies arrived! He was lively as a pup but trained very easily and was a great house dog. He has been brilliant with the kids and over the years has settled down very well. I could write a book similar to Marley and me about his misdemeanours (dug up the garden, ate the sky cable on Xmas eve, my wife's wedding shoes, most of the shrubs in our garden, except for one, which I can only assume is the most horrible plant in the world!) but he has been a great addition to our house. I will be very sorry when he goes so I appreciate what you are going through and wish you the best of luck on your journey to a new best friend. M.

Paddy,

Very, very sorry to hear about your poor dog. It can be tough losing a close and usually loyal companion especially at this time of year. Setters are lovely dogs.

Would you consider adopting from a shelter?

Please, please do consider adoption. The Christmas season has led to so many dogs, young and old, being dumped, that it is just horrendous at this stage.

If you are considering a doberman don't forget that they are on the 'Restricted Breed' list and will therefore require muzzling and no off-lead walking.

My preference would be for a Heinz 57 and I love staffies. If I was to give you a recommendation it would probably be for a lurcher or whippet. They are generally placid and eager to please. They don't shed and are also known as 'couch potatoes' because after their walks they sleep for ages.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies rob oyle and Mise Éire.

Re. the shelter .. I've nothing against shelters and I'm a sucker for a sad (dog's) face but I've always bred the male I was keeping.

My thoughts in buying are to get two puppies from the same litter and to get puppies with a proven temperment. I find some shelters are over zealous in vetting potential owners and 3rd party hassle is something I'd like to avoid.

With all my talks of another breed I truly love red setters and when push will come to shove I'll find it hard to get another breed.

Mise Éire - a Boxer could be a possibility. How is he on the shedding hair front?

Whatever breed I get I'm going to get two because I feel dogs need each others company too. Would a Boxer x 2 be manageable do you think or would it be a madness in the making? Do Boxers take well to the lead?

I looked at dobermans but they are a ferocious price for 1 not to mind 2.

Paddy,

If you are considering a doberman don't forget that they are on the 'Restricted Breed' list and will therefore require muzzling and no off-lead walking.

I wasn't aware of that. The local farmer who has one has no muzzle on him and he has a free run of the place. I'd be taking mine for walks on country roads. I wouldn't want to keep a dog that needs to be muzzled. I would feel guilty everytime I'd put the muzzles on them.

To be honest, as the night goes by .... I'm more for getting setters again.

Hair can be hoovered. And I love my setters.

Although I'm sad about my dog dying today, I take great consolation that he died in comfort and quickly. I had to get his father put down - his back went and I used to have to support him when he was toileting (best word I could come up with). It was far more upsetting to watch him fading away.

In the park where I used to walk the dogs there was a guy who had two boxers. He regularly told me that they were just too much for him as they were both very energetic. Perhaps it would depend on the temperment of the dogs.

I always recommend to people to try fostering the dogs before adoption. It gives you an opportunity to get to know the dogs personality and to see if they will fit in with the household. You will also be helping the rescue out.

I'll look at the shelters and see what they've got ... you've made a very persuasive argument.

That furminator looks the business.

and I'll be staying away from restricted breeds.

We have a small space so I never considered getting a second. He is not bad for shedding hair although after a couple red setters you are pretty much used to hoovering at this stage I'm sure! He is good on the lead and I can let him off lead close to the house and he will come when I call him. I watch in awe as 2 of my neighbours have enough trust to walk their boxers off lead along busy roads and in town. My fella was wild as a pup and is a bit still too curious to try that but is very manageable on lead at this stage.

I would love a dog...but my dad gave away my jack russell when I was 7...he used to swing out of a rotary line and ruined my dad's shirts plus he wouldn't sleep so my mam had to bring him out in the car each night. Anyway not possible as now live in managed development.

But I have visitation rights to my nana's dog who is a black lab kelpie cross. My uncle and his wife bought a pair and when divorced got one each. They sent them to obedience school and were taught to eat on a certain word etc. She is now going deaf so we have to scream at her the word. She still stands at the stairs so we have to pretend we are off to bed and then sneak out!

Sorry to hear about your Setter Paddy. It must be like loosing a family member.

i would love to get a dog, but unfortunately my life is not dog-friendly.

There are so many gorgeous dogs on the dogs trust and DSPCA websites looking for homes. I dont know why anyone would buy a dog from a breeder.

So sorry to hear about your setter. We have a mongrel now and she is a funny little thing, very attached to the family, very healthy. But I did have a dobermann, who I loved, he was a big softy. Extremely athletic and strong and very, very affectionate. He died at a relatively young age. From my experience, they are lovely dogs, but then so are so many breeds!

Thanks for all your replies.

Upon reflection, I'm going to stick with setters as they've always been the breed of choice.

I'm going to get two puppies from the same litter ... company and siblings together.

Oh they are just gorgeous, better than George any day :)

Isn't the one on the right so angelic lookin'

P.S. Don't forget to get them two name discs with owner contact details. I'm sure you don't want these two beauties goin astray.

Back