Does the PRTB sanction landlords who have not registered with them? Tip off Revenue?

Re: Non registration with PRTB

:rolleyes: I guess its lucky then that the PRTB is so inefficient that it takes them over 6 months to cash a check and process a registration.

I expect no one has ever gone to jail or been fined for not registering with PRTB or from not withholding non-resident LL tax.

Well actually in this case there is no loan on the property(s), hence the income in total is declared to the Revenue with just usuals to offset against (insurance, maintenance, fixtures and fittings etc). Due to lack of other income my mum is not liable to tax either way (a return is still made however using her accountant).

Its just the registration with the PRTB that is not being complied with. Again, when someone moves into one of these places, she has no idea how long they might stay really. I see from the website that you can have a license to stay as opposed to being a tenant proper. These is a website and offical registrations to back this up (i.e. holiday accommodation). Not sure the PRTB will accept this, but sure we'll try.

Thanks

Say if u have been living somewhere in apartment you own 4 years, then decide to buy a place with your partner and want to keep on the original place to rent out (at the moment selling it would be hard and you would be making a loss for sure?). As mortgage is high on original place you would like to leave mortgage as is and get just enough rent plus some of your on money to cover repayment. Mortgage on new place shared with your partner would be low, at least for now.

You don't want to claim TRS on new mortgage with partner but I assume you are still obliged to let revenue know about your old property?

Cheers,
M

I was just wondering if any of you have heard of the PRTB fining landlords who have not registered with them?

My landlady, who is a massive property owner in the area where I live, only registers if the tenant wants to apply for a residential parking permit and demands that the tenant give her the cash (technically illegal, I know, but almost impossible to police this). The place is clearly regsitered on the register as "apartment number xxx" buy they haven't pursued her for this or her other properties, none of which seem to be registered either.

As she has at least 2 places subdivided into 10 flats it would be well worth their while chasing her, but clearly they don't at present. I believe they are heavily understaffed and struggling to cope with the workoads.

Surely if the revenue they collected was ringfenced for their own use they could finance themselves and staff themselves sufficiently? It does seem they are missing out on massive revenue streams because of noncompliance and non pursual of noncompliant landlords? Perhaps it would be more effective to link to the 200 euro 2nd home tax as this appears to be more effectively chased up on?

"As she has at least 2 places subdivided into 10 flats it would be well worth their while chasing her, but clearly they (PRTB)don't at present"
I would certainly report this landlady to the PRTB.

My landlady, who is a massive property owner in the area where I live, only registers if the tenant wants to apply for a residential parking permit and demands that the tenant give her the cash (technically illegal, I know, but almost impossible to police this).
What cash?

Re: Does the PRTB sanction landlords who have not registered with them? Tip off Reve

Presumably the 70 euro tenancy registration fee.

Re: Does the PRTB sanction landlords who have not registered with them? Tip off Reve

NB: PRTB pass on information of registered lettings to Revenue

Hi,
We have only recently signed a tenancy form with our landlord and have been living in the property for 3 years. We are entitled to 2400 euro back in unclaimed rent tax however we were never registered.

Is there anything we can do to get our money back as if we report to the PRTB then our landlord will get screwed by revenue for not paying tax for the last 3 years.

We want our money!!!

Any advice?

You have made two posts ... one saying you have signed an agreement and one saying you've been asked to sign one ..... which is it?

If you have signed an agreement why would you sign one that gives false information about the length of your tenancy?

You want to claim tax back but you want to safe guard your landlord by signing a false agreement .... you can't play both sides.

The best policy would have been to play it straight .... have you receipts for rent etc.?

Clarify your position and someone may be able to help you .... and don't double post your query or Mods may ban you.

Back