Does a management company have a right to know who is living in my apartment?

moonstar

I own a property with another party who lives abroad. Due to a high mortgage, we have an agreement that we have a tenant. One of my neighbors who is on the Board of management keeps demanding to know who is living with me. This person lives in very close proximity to me. It's very awkward. Surely, it is no-one's business who I have staying with me? I have come in with friends/family and this person has demanded to know what is going on. This person isn't the type of person you could reason with.

From the MUD Act

(3) A unit owner (whether the owner of a residential unit or a commercial unit) shall be under an obligation to furnish to the relevant owners’ management company— (a) particulars of his or her name, (b) particulars of his or her address, (c) particulars of the names of the tenants in the unit, (d) particulars of any habitual occupiers of the unit other than tenants, and (e) such other contact particulars as the owners’ management company may reasonably request, and shall promptly notify the owners’ management company of any change in such particulars.

Edit: I was mistaken on a particular point and have deleted it.

I would respond to nothing less than a written request. A neighbour badgering you for this information is not appropriate.

Last edited:
Agree with @NoRegretsCoyote
I assume this property is in Ireland?
If so, I would go further and contact the agent about your neighbours request,. This appears to be in a personal capacity, not the on behalf of the Board of the Owners Management Company (OMC).
If the OMC wishes to have your tenants/licencee details, they need to write to you in an official capacity, not door step you.

The OP is required to furnish to the OMC particulars of any habitual occupiers of the unit other than tenants - there is no "reasonableness" qualifier to this obligation.

If the OP has a problem with a particular individual Director, he could address a letter to the Directors collectively, care of the managing agent.

Thank you. I have been absolutely mortified on multiple occasions when it is verbally demanded of me "What is going on?" when I am walking into my apartment with visitors. Not to mention people staying with me feeling extremely uncomfortable. I really do not consider it to be anyone else's business who I have staying with me to be honest, whether it be short or longterm.

Thank you. I have been absolutely mortified on multiple occasions when it is verbally demanded of me "What is going on?" when I am walking into my apartment with visitors.
You have a right to come and go to your own dwelling without being pestered by someone else. Legally, this is potentially harrassment under Section 10 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act and more it continues the more likely it is to reach a criminal standard.

Keep a detailed, written record of every time it occurs in case you ever need to make a criminal complaint.

Thank you. I have been absolutely mortified on multiple occasions when it is verbally demanded of me "What is going on?" when I am walking into my apartment with visitors. Not to mention people staying with me feeling extremely uncomfortable. I really do not consider it to be anyone else's business who I have staying with me to be honest, whether it be short or longterm.
Cut and dried harassment in my book.

Thank you. I will write to the management agent, as this person is part of the management company it makes it extremely awkward. This person seems to spend most of their time ordering other people around under the guise that they are on the "management company." People are reluctant to lodge a complaint.

As an owner you are part of the management company too. Their being a director does not grant them additional police-thy-neighbour privileges no matter what. You are under no obligation to answer their questions and you'd be perfectly reasonable to complain of the harrassment. Diary it and discuss with other neighbours whether they are being similarly doorstepped by this director. They won't be the only director, they aren't judge/jury/executioner on anything you raise. If the management company wants to know, then the management company needs to ask in a reasonable manner.

Back