Do they make exceptions for Rent Allowance

P

PeppaPig

We need to move house soon, one of our children is disabled and requires a wheelchair, which surprise surprise we haven't got yet - neither of us drive. She is starting school in Sept in mainstream school and we are probably going to be in receipt of rent allowance as I am currently her carer and my partner is on illness benefit due to an accident at work a year ago.

We need the school to be within short walking distance of our house, which leaves us very limited in terms of what we can and cannot rent. We also need the house to be reasonably accessible for a wheelchair. . so while it doesn't have to necessarily be a bungalow it needs to have the wider doorways/downstairs loo etc.
Also I am worried because the houses in the school catchment area that meet the requirements for us are about a 100euro above the rent limit -- and thats BEFORE they reduce rent supplements!

Anyway. I am sort of dreading going to see the CWO because I have a feeling they are inundated with requests for rent supplement . Has anyone heard of them making exceptions for this sort of situation?

We are not moving from rent supplement where we are currently. We were on the RAS scheme here but due to the need for more family support we are moving from one county to another and so at the moment am not sure we can switch from one RAS scheme to another (currently waiting on the council rep to actually return my calls:rolleyes: )

There are two issues which will have to be looked at by the HSE.

- Rent charged exceeding the Maximum Rent Limit
- The fact that you are leaving accommodation provided through the local authority (in this case RAS).

Normally, either of these would disqualify a person from receiving Rent Supplement. However there is a provision for exceptions.

You should contact the CWO in the area you hope to move into who will advise you.

Back