Do public service retirees get the state pension

sfag

Private sector retiress will get a state pension on top of whats left of their private pension when they retire.

Do public service retirees get this.

I'm thinking specifically about those employed say since 2006?

Re: do public sector retirees get the state pension

Yes: it's part of the pension package. Public service pensions are generally provided on the basis of defined benefit 50% of final salary to include the contributory old age pension (assuming full contributions).

I doubt if there are many employed since 2006 who are now retired!

Those who were first employed before 1995 do not (in most cases, anyway) qualify for the Contributory OAP.

Yes and no. Nominally yes in that the pension calculation will show the portion of the pension made up by the OAP. This little bit of mathematics came about when the public service started to pay full PRSI payments, i.e the government of the time wanted to show the public service would get the full PRSI benefits (such as they are).

At the moment however the answer in practice is no (though it could change over time), most obviously a public service pension can depending on years of service and type of job be picked up in full before reaching OAP age. The public service pension will also not be affected by any changes to the OAP. I.E the public service pension is currently insulated from both reduction in the OAP and extensions to the OAP age.

The classic example would be a garda retiring at 50 at half pay - obviously this pension is in no way made up of the OAP until 66 despite the calculations showing otherwise.

Back