Divorced and losing job - entitlements?

dubinamerica

Hi, I have not posted on this site for some time and I hope someone can give me some advice. Six years ago I separated from my then husband. Things have been difficult but I managed to obtain a job and put my two young children into childcare and get our lives back on track. I am now divorced and have bought my ex-husband out of the family home. All savings were used for that and I was left with a massive loan to pay legal fees. He pays no maintenance. I moved job late last year into a startup and now the owner is telling me that he can't afford to pay me at my current salary and I'll be finishing up in a few weeks. I had another job lined up and that offer is now on hold due to a hiring freeze. I am at my wits end. I was on lone parents a few years ago for a short time. Can I claim for that again or job seekers? My youngest child is 6 years old and will be 7 next year. I will not be in a position to meet my monthly outgoings if I'm not working so I need to contact mortgage provider and put together paperwork for the credit union. If anyone has info on entitlements I would really really appreciate it as things are extremely stressful right now. Thank you

Thank you so much. I went through the courts and my ex isn't working (hasn't been for some time). The settlement meant I got to keep the house (which I've been paying for anyway) but he got savings of a substantial amount. I may be able to go back to court again to try get maintenance if my situation has changed. We were under pressure after waiting for a couple of years to get into court to make a settlement or we may have lost our slot in the courts and could have been another year. My ex had dodged the courts multiple times by changing solicitors and so on. I'll take a look over that link you sent on. I'm really hoping to sort work and have been interviewing. Very frustrating as I know my ex isn't looking but I need to be able to provide for the kids. If I do have to go onto OPFP hopefully it will only be for a short time. Thanks so much.

Back