disclosing previous insurance details.

• Thread starter blackberet28
  • Start date
B

blackberet28

just wondering do insurance companies have ways of finding out if you were in crashes etc..? if you say no when they ask you is that the end of it? this would be a difference of 3200e in a premium. apprieciate the info thanks.

there's always the chance that the same motor assessor/investigator/garda/solicitor/repair garage etc would be teh same as the old one and you could be found out that way.

far more serious however, is the fact that if you say no previous accident, and you are not telling the truth on the proposal form, then in the event of a claim, you may not be covered at all.

Your insurer would have to deal with a third party claim, but would have a right under the policy to seek recovery from you.

Insurance is all about risk asessment and it stands to reason that if the company isn't aware of all the facts, they will give you a lower premium than if they knew that you had points/disqualifications previously. When you take out a policy on-line, the insurance is issued on the understanding that the information provided is accurate and true. If at a later date the insurance company discover that when the policy was incepted, facts were omitted - deliberately or not - they are perfectly entitled to cancel the policy back to inception, refunding any premium made and it is as tho the policy has never existed.

And yes Bond-007, insurance companies do have access to a database.

Blackberet28 - if it was me, I'd be honest about previous insurance problems, mainly to stop it biting me in the bum at a later date! It is quite possible that the company would never discover your history BUT is it worth the risk?

Last edited:
Back