Disabled driver scheme

fod123

My mother recently entered a nursing home. Previously as the primary carer I was availing of the driver disabled scheme to claim tax back on a new car purchase after making an adaption to it. It is due for renewal again early next year but I thought we could no longer avail of it since she is now in a home. However we were contacted by a garage yesterday and we were told we can still avail of this scheme. Is this true? Thanks

Do you mean this?
This suggests that her being in a nursing home may not be a barrier to availing of the scheme?
  • a family member residing with, or responsible for the transportation of, a passenger who has a PMC

Do you mean this?
This suggests that her being in a nursing home may not be a barrier to availing of the scheme?
Yes Clubman yes this is what I was enquiring about, I agree it does suggest it should be a barrier. Thanks for the pointer

If your mother is never a passenger in the car then the scheme no longer applies, e.g. if she is a permanent resident in the care home.

A family member of a disabled passenger can also qualify for relief if they are living with and responsible for the transport of the disabled person in question and got the vehicle for that purpose.

If you only stay with a family member on a part-time basis, the residency requirement is not met. However, if you are a minor who is in residential or medical care on a part-time or occasional basis and spend a significant part of your time at home, for example, every weekend and holidays, the residency requirement may be met. The Revenue Commissioners can waive the residency requirement in exceptional circumstances.

You should contact the Central Repayments Office to make sure that you meet the residency requirements for relief under the scheme before buying a vehicle.

Time for you to visit SpecSavers maybe.

Do you have information we don't?
As someone who's campaign on this matter for approx. 8 years and examined the legislation and was in the process of taking the matter to the high court (exhausted all other avenues), I can confirm that you do indeed qualified (unfairly) for this benefit as long as you do take your mother out for the odd spin (once a year will cover it)... Financial benefit would equate to 8k net per annum was what it's worth the last time I'd examined it.. Probably more now...if I recalled correctly, someone appealed the refusal of the cert for their parent and won there case.. Persons with no arms don't qualify... Go figure!

As someone who's campaign on this matter for approx. 8 years and examined the legislation and was in the process of taking the matter to the high court (exhausted all other avenues), I can confirm that you do indeed qualified (unfairly) for this benefit as long as you do take your mother out for the odd spin (once a year will cover it)... Financial benefit would equate to 8k net per annum was what it's worth the last time I'd examined it.. Probably more now...if I recalled correctly, someone appealed the refusal of the cert for their parent and won there case.. Persons with no arms don't qualify... Go figure!
Bluefin please refrain from posting nonsense. My post above is the official guide lines from the scheme. The scheme while far from perfect should not and does not cover persons who bring a disabled person for a spin once a year.
Your comments above are disrespectful to the many famliies who totally rely on the scheme funded by the tax payer.
Regarding a financial benefit of 8k per annum what exactly does that mean? More rubbish.
The saving of VRT and VAT totally depend on the type of vehicle purchased adaptations required and also whether the vehjcle is used for a disabled driver or passenger.
It would seem that your 8 year campaign and examination of legislation and process moving onto high court was doomed when you dont seem to understand the basics of the scheme.

You should read the Supreme Court decision of Lennon v Disabled Drivers Medical Board of Appeal Reeves v Disabled Drivers Medical Board of Appeal to broaden your knowledge on the topic and the response of the Minister of finance in the following fiance bill 2020.

Benefits :
CAR - Vrt & Vat (car can be replaced every 2 yrs) - 10k,16k,22k, 33k,48k depends on being driver or passenger and severity of disability
Excise duties on fuel -2720 litres per year allowed (0.602 petrol ,0.495 Diesel)
Free parking
Free toals

Disabled Medical Board of Appeal have all resigned a few years ago and there's none in place to adjudicate on appeals due to the unfairness of the scheme.

I was classed as an interested party in the case persued by the Irish Human rights legal team.

You should read the Supreme Court decision of Lennon v Disabled Drivers Medical Board of Appeal Reeves v Disabled Drivers Medical Board of Appeal to broaden your knowledge on the topic and the response of the Minister of finance in the following fiance bill 2020.

Benefits :
CAR - Vrt & Vat (car can be replaced every 2 yrs) - 10k,16k,22k, 33k,48k depends on being driver or passenger and severity of disability
Excise duties on fuel -2720 litres per year allowed (0.602 petrol ,0.495 Diesel)
Free parking
Free toals

Disabled Medical Board of Appeal have all resigned a few years ago and there's none in place to adjudicate on appeals due to the unfairness of the scheme.

I was classed as an interested party in the case persued by the Irish Human rights legal team.
What exactly has all this to do with fod123 query in relation to her mother now in a nursing home?
Taking a family member out of residential care once a year will not qualify anybody for the scheme.

You stated in your post above that I was talking nonsense.. You should read the rules of the scheme.

A Primary Medical Certificate is a document that you can use to confirm you are severely and permanently disabled and one of the following applies:

• You are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs.
  • You are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs.
  • You are without both hands or both arms.
  • You are without one or both legs.
  • You are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg.
  • You are a person with restricted growth syndrome (dwarfism) and have serious difficulties with movement of your legs.
Where an individual resides as a passenger has no bearing on receiving the required PMC to gain access to the scheme.

An individual whose parent was living full-time in a nursing home has already successful won there case in relation to this matter.

You stated in your post above that I was talking nonsense.. You should read the rules of the scheme.

A Primary Medical Certificate is a document that you can use to confirm you are severely and permanently disabled and one of the following applies:

• You are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs.
  • You are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs.
  • You are without both hands or both arms.
  • You are without one or both legs.
  • You are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg.
  • You are a person with restricted growth syndrome (dwarfism) and have serious difficulties with movement of your legs.
Where an individual resides as a passenger has no bearing on receiving the required PMC to gain access to the scheme.

An individual whose parent was living full-time in a nursing home has already successful won there case in relation to this matter.
Taking a disabled person out of a residential setting once or even a few times a year will not qualify anyone for the scheme.

I have been on the scheme for 26yrs and have worked in the disability sector for 18yrs.

Again 10k 16k 22k 33k. what exactly do these figures mean? There are limits on VAT/VRT which differ for drivers and passangers with disabilities.
Also the 2yr change around is not permitted if a vehicle is heavily adapted.

Back