Disability Allowance

passat

My sister recently applied for disability allowance and posted all the relevant documents as required by Welfare, this was just over 2 weeks ago, I was wondering if someone may be familiar with how long it takes to process her claim, or do welfare reply stating they have recieved all documentation (these were sent by registered post) as there were some important documents enclosed, she has not heard anything from welfare since. Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

Two weeks would not be long in such applications. All original documents will be returned to her. Sometimes they return the certificates on their own before the final letter of approval. While I couldn't give a specific time, I would not consider it unusual for them to take 4-6 weeks. HOwever, she could always ring them just to ask has the application been received and roughly when a decision could be expected.

Remember that Disability Allowance involves a mean-test, which entails the claim being investigated by a home visit in some cases. As Graham 07 says, ring them and ask!

Just to clarify the above - your sister is the person who should fill out the application for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (if she cannot call to the CWO at the health centre, a home visit can be arranged & the CWO can assist in completion of the form if required).

If your sister has no other income, she may qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance, if she has another income, she will be means-tested.

Back