Disability allowance to Invalidity Pension

hey naughto,
Its handier for me to collect my payment in the post office as i live close to it, and its a nusience for me to get it into my bank account and then have to withdraw it again!! this is my 2nd week being on IP so i dont mind the wait for the arrears! just curious how long do they hold your payment in the post office if you couldnt attend to collect it for couple of days after the wednesday collection, as i think when i was on the DA the women in post office told me i have about 20 days or something before it would be sent back to DA section.
Just like to no these things!!

I asked in the post office today about how long does they hold your IP before they return it to social welfare and she said "3 months" handy for people to no! I also get my IP on a Thursday not wednesday.

should i swap over

this is my first time on this site,have been on illness benefit 6yrs have to go in for yearly assesments,going in again in 3 wks and i phoned sw 2day to swap over to IP, she said i qualify and will send me out form, if allowed should i swap over or stay if possible on IP,thanks

Invalidity Pension pays at a slightly higher rate than Illness Benefit, and there are additional benefits which you may qualify for, including a free travel pass, fuel allowance and household benefits package (electricity/gas allowance, TV licence).

So it may be well worth your while to change over if you are eligible.

I agree with Gipimann, if you have been on IB for 6 years , you should qualify for IP, and there may be additional benifits. Call to your nearest SW Office, or better still, Citizen Information Office (CI), as they will have the application form, and explain how to fill it in. My advise is do it ASAP, due to the backlog

Thanks very much, i phoned sw forms in the post, just a bit nervous cos i heard they were trying to cut people off, and if i have to appeal wont get paid cos husband is lucky enough to be working. i frigging hate going in to that medical board, I feel because you cant see my illnesses they dont believe you, thanks again guys.

If you are on IB for six years your illness must be well documented. Not all IP applicants are called for a medical, and some illness's can ot be seen, that's not unusual, so do not worry. If you are concerned, talk to your GP as they usually are best placed to advise you, the GP will have to sign your IP application anyway !

Got Passed

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I passed my medical with the disability section so I have decided to put in for IP. I sent forms in, aware of the backlog and I am just hoping i dont get called for another medical. I left a letter in with the assessor with my illness's documented so hopefully not. I do hope that one dept' communicates with another and they pass the letter down, thanks all for advice and will keep you poste.

I doubt it very much, as it would be the same medical assessor. Your file in Longford will be passed from DA to IP section, including medical report. I think you will be fine, but this process could take 8 to 12 weeks, due to the volume of work, staff shortages, and holidays

invalidity pension benefits

hi does anyone know if while you are on invalidity pension you can do courses for extra qualifications

Taken from the operational guidelines on Invalidity Pension:
  1. A claimant may, with the prior written permission of an officer of the Minister, for a specified period of time undertake the following types of work or training:
  2. having become permanently incapable of following his or her usual occupation, a course of training with a view to taking up some other occupation.
  3. work in the nature of rehabilitation or occupational therapy.
  4. light work for which no remuneration is or would ordinarily be payable.
A CLAIMANT MUST OBTAIN WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE DEPARTMENT BEFORE STARTING WORK/COURSES. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THE ABOVE CAN LEAD TO THE DISALLOWANCE OF THE PENSION AND TO LEGAL PROCEEDINGS.

Depending on the type of course you want to do, and the qualifications you already have, you might be entitled to Back to Education Allowance instead of your Invalidity Pension.

"A CLAIMANT MUST OBTAIN WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE DEPARTMENT BEFORE STARTING WORK/COURSES. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THE ABOVE CAN LEAD TO THE DISALLOWANCE OF THE PENSION AND TO LEGAL PROCEEDINGS."
GIPIMANN is correct, however it really depends on your personal circumstances. I would always encourage a new training or education course to anybody disabled. BTEA would seems the best option.

Hi All,
Just looking for abit of advice, got refused IP last week and am unsure as to appeal or not. have heard if I appeal and still get refused they can cut me off Illness Benefit. Little bit annoyed about it as I sent if off in June, letter only came last week dated July 2011 and then crossed out with pen and october wrote in. All advice welcome, I had only been for my medical in May and got declared unfit for work, have been on benefit 6yrs. tanx

If you've been getting Illness Benefit for 6yrs then once your getting medical certs from your doctor you can't be cut off.

Appealing IP decision should not effect your present situation imho.

Back