Disability allowance to Invalidity Pension

JEON50

I applied for Invalidity Pension 10 weeks ago, when I contacted SW Longford, in early December they said it would be 2011, before my case would be dealt with. Has anybody been through this process recently. I now have enough A1 Contributions due to disability credits.
How long does it take ?

I applied for Invalidity Pension 10 weeks ago, when I contacted SW Longford, in early December they said it would be 2011, before my case would be dealt with. Has anybody been through this process recently. I now have enough A1 Contributions due to disability credits.
How long does it take ?

A friend of mine was in similar situation as yours, now had enuf stamps to qualify for IP but was turned down because he was currently employed in rehabilitive employment (C.E. Scheme) despite the fact that people on IP also can do C.E. Scheme with no reduction in their IP payment.

Just be aware of this if your currently on a C.E. Scheme.
He can of course re-apply when unemployed.

I am now with the National Learning Centre, trying to learn new skills, I also work with the unemployed one day a week unpaid, as I worked years ago in training and placement. On a C.E, scheme you are allowed a full FAS training allowance, as well as as you SW paymenents on the NLN scheme its 20 Euro per Week plus your disability allowance. I applied to transfer to IP before I started in the NLN

I am now with the National Learning Centre, trying to learn new skills, I also work with the unemployed one day a week unpaid, as I worked years ago in training and placement. On a C.E, scheme you are allowed a full FAS training allowance, as well as as you SW paymenents on the NLN scheme its 20 Euro per Week plus your disability allowance. I applied to transfer to IP before I started in the NLN

right........you'll just have to wait and see what responce sw come up with.

As regards waiting 10 wks all ready I suggest you give them a ring and ask them when can you expect a decision on your claim.

Best of luck!

Hi Pudds,
I have called Longford, the backlog seems to be in medical in Dublin, in fairness Longford are great people, but when it goes to Dublin you are just a PPS No., I ave a niece that works there, she does not know I have applied. Se did say that it is easier for her unit to say NO, as they are measured on SW savings

I am not atacking you but must say that the attitude of saying "no" and being measured on savings is utterly disgraceful.

I am not surprised though as I am aware of some people who have been subjected to this "ritual" and it is inhumane in it's effects on some individuals.

I have worked and payed all my taxes for 40 years, was never unemployed. I had a double stroke while self employed. I am only asking for what I am entitled to. I am trying to protect my OAP, and on IP , I will be subject to PAYE

I have worked and payed all my taxes for 40 years, was never unemployed. I had a double stroke while self employed. I am only asking for what I am entitled to. I am trying to protect my OAP, and on IP , I will be subject to PAYE

Quite right too.

Perservere. DO NOT allow yourself to be chiselled out of your proper entitlements.

I was looking at a pension slip recently for an elderly relative who receives a Civil Service widows pension. I was utterly shocked at the extra tax and USC liabilities that she will now suffer even though her gross income is quite modest.

So, JEON50 persist and do not be put off easily as every cent is now at stake, particularly for those on lower incomes.

Can I contest a desision by SW on Invalidity Pension

I ave been refused IP because I am short 2 weeks A Type contributions, that is 46 weeks, I changed from DA to Rehab and retraining in November at Type J9 Contribution. This is twice I ave been refused, the first was a year ago, I was 3 weeks short. I am not trying to use the system. I am now on a placement setting up community job seekers resourse centres, with no budget, I get 20 Euro a week extra to include transport, meals etc. I see other people on the same disability programme going through the motions. Some are single, living at home without a training placement earning more than me, with a wife and 2 children to support

I appealed direct to the Minister. I ave been asked to meet the SW Inspector to discuss my Invalidity pension application later this week. Is this unusual ? They do not need a medical, as my condition is progressive. Have the inspector's got discretion. I am only trying to protect my family. Pudds, Welfarite, Brendan, can you comment

I appealed direct to the Minister. I ave been asked to meet the SW Inspector to discuss my Invalidity pension application later this week. Is this unusual ? They do not need a medical, as my condition is progressive. Have the inspector's got discretion. I am only trying to protect my family. Pudds, Welfarite, Brendan, can you comment

Hi JEON50 sorry to hear that you were turned down. I'm not sure but I would look on this meeting as hopeful for want of a better word.

While not granting your claim for IP they may be able to suggest ways you could get those extra credits in order to qualify at a later date.

If your currently getting A credits on DA then would it not mean just waiting for a few weeks to get enuf stamps and then re-applying....or perhaps they could hold your claim open till this happens.

Thanks Pudds, I will let you know. The email, i got from Eamom O Cuiv, was very good nice, it was like he was talking to a long lost freind, I am non policical, but he has taken a very personal interest in somebody that can not vote for him.

sorry for jumping in here i applied for Invalidity Pension a few weeks
ago as my illness benfit is up in the end the of feb.i got a text back saying that they are processing the claim thats grand.

i now got a letter for the illness benfit section telling me that my illness benfit
is up in feb and that i should apply for the different scemes that are available to me like disabaility allowance,job seekers allowance ect.

do i need to do any thng seeing that i have applied for Invalidity Pension??

and should the illness benfit section not know that i have applied Invalidity Pension

The letter from illness benefit section is a standard one that issues when you're approaching the 2 year limit. When the letter issues, the section may not be aware that you've already applied for another scheme.

Do not hang around filling in your Disability Allowance, as it is taking 4-6 months to process them at the moment. If you are unable to work, arrange to meet your Community Welfare officer. As you will not qualify for Job-Seekers, as you are unable to work.

It would be no harm to visit your local Citizens Information office, they have all the forms, and advise

Best of Luck

do i need to fill in the Disability Allowance form even when ive applied for Invalidity Pension??

No, if you have enough credits for IP, go for that. Sorry I thought youu had not enough credits (as in my case)

one more question what happens if the IP section has not got back to me before my illness benfit runs out.what do i do then??

My understanding is that there should be no gap between the two schemes, once you've applied in good time (which you appear to have done).

However if there is a gap, you may be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA).

SWA is means-tested, and household income & savings is taken into account.

As JEON50 mentioned, you can contact your Community Welfare Officer, based at the local Health Centre to make an application for SWA.

You can find out more information on SWA here:

[broken link removed]

Back